NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6960 & 6979: Western Veil & Pickering's Triangle (Ha)

Euan

Something always seems to go wrong when I try to image this area, last night my autoguiding went a bit bonkers in RA so it's not as sharp as I would have liked. I've also now got to sort out a tilt issue with the Atik and the adaptors I'm using, something is taking it slightly off.

I've always found it a hard target to frame, whenever you look at it in a short burst binned or look at in a planetarium it doesn't always show the full spread of faint stuff off to the sides, so this had to be cropped slightly top and right hand side.

Here are the details anyway, hopefully once the moon clears off I can try and get the O3 and then buy a S2 filter for a go at that.

Camera: Atik 383L+ Mono with 1.25" 7nm Baader Ha

Scope: Skywatcher Equinox 80 with Televue TRF-2008

Mount: EQ6 with EQMOD

Guiding: Orion ST80 with QHY5

Capture Software: CCD Commander, Maxim DL

Processing Software: Deep Sky Stacker, PixInsight

Exposures: 8 x 1200 secs (2 Hours, 40 mins)

Dithering: 1 pixel per sub

Calibration: 20 x Darks

5115208828_cdbfcfbc54_b.jpg

I didn't realise how negative I sounded till I read that back, it was mostly to do with the Obs PC dying at around 4:45am when the temperature hit -2c :)

It survived all last winter, but for some reason it packed in on Sunday night

I've just swapped the HDD into another machine and it's all back up and running so it's all good :(

Thanks for the comments

Archived