Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebony Star Laminate for dobs

Came across this from Telescope Service. They now stock Ebony Star laminate for dobs. They do different size pre-cut rings ready to glue onto your base. They also do the teflon sheet as well as strips of Ebony Star.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p3875_Ebony-Star-Ring-D-50cm-zum-Selbstbau-von-Gleitlagern.html

John

Better than the lazy susan approach. Take the groundboard off your scope and measure to see what diameter ring would fit on top of the teflon pads. It might be a good idea though to get some more teflon as the "teflon" that comes with the scope isn't the best.

John

Thanks for advice John :)

So what needs to be done is the teflon pads need replacing, and a suitable sized ring of ebony star glued onto the upper board above the pads?

Yes, that's it. The little squares of teflon that are stapled onto the groundboard of the dob are a bit small and tend to be distorted and I don't think that they're the best quality, so it's worth putting something better on while you're at it. The 3mm teflon should be thick enough.

John

Hmm just my luck. Recently bought a similar thing from Scope stuff in USA and buyung from TS, with delivery & taxes etc, wouldv'e been way cheaper :-(

The ring of ebony star from scope stuff was perhaps 1.5" diameter, which is unnecesarily mean. It meant you needed to do your measurements carefuly with 1" thick teflon blocks. I found the upgrade worthwhile though :-) Contact adhesive spray messy !

Hi Everyone

I don't want to come across as too stupid but how do you know what you are getting from TS???? I can't get any details to come up in english and it's been a while since I've use the force OB1

I can make out the prices. Wouldn't a lazy susan work out cheaper?? what are the advantages of having a ES other than the obviouse flush fitting.

Hope someone is still watching this thread

SPACEBOY

TS is one of the best astro dealers out there......period. They are very, very reliable. Ask anyone who has dealt with them.

I just use Google translate on my Google toolbar to automatically translate. It works really well.

A lazy Susan can work OK, but it is a bit tricky to add just the right amount of friction. The Lazt Susan is completely unusable just on it's own (not enough friction). There's a reason brands such as Obsession will only use EbonySar and nothing else. It just has the perfect characteristics for dob bearings.

John

could get the whole worktop for that much :eek:

Funny you should say that. At the bottom of that page there is a review and they say that this material seems to be almost the same as a specific kitchen worktop ("Resopal"). Only that the base material of the ES is slightly less coarse than that of the worktop. They say up to a 10" scope you might as well just use the worktop and get it cut into a ring.

Seems someone is out to mug people. You think you start with a sheet of 500mm laminate for say £10 you can cut out probably 3 circles to suit 10"dob down to a 6" and the last bit can do for a couple of Alt circles. sell them of for £15 - £25 each and your talking "LOADZ A MONEY"

Archived