Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on decent book/software to study the Moon?

With full Moon evening skies (like now) blocking most DSO activities, I've decided to make the most of these evenings by studying in detail the Moon.

Would appreciate therefore recommendations on good books or software that idenify what to look for and see on the Moon with an 8" SCT.

Thanks

Full Moon isn't the best time to study the Moon, as the shadow detail disappears and much of the features are washed out. The best strategy is to watch the Moon on successive nights, and go along the terminator (The line between light and dark) and pick out the very visible features within 10º or so of the terminator. You will always find something worth seeing, and things you either haven't seen before, or have seen and forgotten. There are over 2,000 craters, as well as seas, lakes, bays, rays, valleys, mountains, rilles, the list goes on and on.

Within a few days of the Full Moon you can see things along the terminator, and depending on the libration you may be able to see things that are 'on the farside' of the Moon.

Oh, I have a Rukl Moon Atlas that I ordered from Sky and Telescope, on Talitha's recommendation, and a small book by Ian Ridpath that has many pages of line drawings of the Moon that are very useful in identifying objects on the surface. I take both of these to the ep with me, and use VMA as a check when I get in, and a planning tool before I go out.

Archived