Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary imaging with a Dob?

Revs

Hey peeps, I've got a quick question..

I'm saving for a larger scope, but I don't know what I'm saving for :) I'm thinking along the lines of a 12" SW FlexTube GoTo, but was wondering if webcam imaging was possible with one? Obviously deep sky imaging is out of the question, but I read the optics are good enough for planetary work. Does this include webcam imaging?

Has anyone tried this with their Dob? If so, how were the results? Got pics?? :)

Cheers guys, that's good to know. Soo.. with a 12" dob would there be any reason to keep the Mak? I know the Mak is more portable, but other than that..?

Also, I keep reading dob specs and seeing '1/8 wave' and 1/6 wave'. I know this relates to optical quality, but how?

Just weighing up my options for now. What advantage does the Mak have over the Dob, imaging wise? I was thinking if the Dob was better than the Mak for imaging, it would make a a good planetary imaging and deep sky observing scope, then I would carry on saving and eventually get a EQ6 and frac for DS imaging.

Any info/opinions would be great :)

I'm in the same boat as you though I've already ordered a auto Dob 250. Like you I'm hoping to getting better webcam images after being assured by Nick's excellent tracking report! :)

I will see how things go with the Dob before I part with my beloved Skymax 127 :)

Archived