Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Converting a Dobsonian to an EQ Mount?

The 8" dob - probably Orion 8XTi - seems to be the scope I lean toward more and more. I think it will give me the greatest cost-satisfaction combination.

Knowing that I will, no doubt, invest in accessories for this particular scope probably doubling the investment (or more), I would prefer to have an extensible platform. Anticipating that the day will arrive when I will want to get into AP, I was wondering if it were feasible to consider buying an EQ mount with GOTO for this scope in the future, abandoning the dob mount. Or, is it the case that the sheer mass of the optics makes it unlikely to be able to buy a reasonably priced EQ?

Are 8" newts on EQ mounts of approximately the same mass as an 8" dob? Is this mass issue the reason that Mak-Cass on fork mounted EQs seem to be so ubiquitous?

Or, is it the case that most sales are of the entire kit making the market for secondary upgrades - such as the EQ tracking mount proposed - are not economically viable?

Those without the funds limits that I face would probably just buy a new larger aperture scope, but I'm trying to figure out if I can extend my enjoyment of the hobby over time making gradual investments as my interests exceed the capacity of my original purchase. I'm a believer in buying the best one can afford, but I'm also a believer in looking past the immediate goals or ends for any purchase and using that to educate initial buying.

Would appreciate hearing of any successes or failures from anyone who has been down this path.

Thank you!

Hi RabbitHutch,

I have a SW 200p Newtonian, which is very similar to the Orion 8". I origanally started off with an EQ5:

Skywatcher - Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe

This was an okay mount, but with this scope, it was right on its weight limit. I have since upgraded to the HEQ5 Pro Synscan GOTO:

Skywatcher - Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan

This is what I would recommend for to minimum requirements for such a scope. It would be perfect for AP if required. This mount can take a higher payload than the EQ5, which would allow you to upgrade your scope if you ever wanted without buying anouther mount.

It is very easy to convert a scope from DOB to Newt. all you will need is a set of tube rings:

Tube Rings - Skywatcher Telescope Tube Rings

Something like this to fit the Orion, and then a dovetail bar to join scope to mount.

I hope this is of some help to you,

Keiran

Edited by Keiran

I would suggest the same as Kieran but add that you can "add a step" by buying the HEQ5 Syntrek first, eventually upgrading to full GOTO from there. The overall cost may be slightly more but it does allow you to "step up" slowly. Secondly you may find that you are happy with the Syntrek and don't need to upgrade to GOTO, especially if you are good at finding the objects that you want by some other means.

You will really need to think hard about either the GOTO or SYNTREK... You may well get on with the SYNTREK, it is about £100 cheaper, but its them about £300 to upgrade. I have heard many accounts that the upgrade system not working as well as the Original GOTO. But that said, as bizibilder said, that is another option.

HTH

Keiran

dear rabithutch,i hope you are well in texas.i have a skywatcher eq3-2 and a new heq5.like you i wantd to put my 8in dob on an eq mount.i purchase the mirrors and made a 12in square tube with 1 x 1 and odd buts of wod.to convert it to the heq5 i fixed 3 bits of 3x1 glued together side by side across the balance point then piece of 2x1 along the axis with the 8in dovetail bar bolted thro the lot with 6mm bolts.the longer the bar is the easier to balance it.it fits on the heq5 ok.with a round tube then rings are ok with a loop as well so you can turn the tube to move the eyepiece which it over 6 ft 6in at max.a none synscan is ok if you fine with setting circles and a synscan conversion is ok and earier when setup ok.my eq3 was bits in a box so it neded care to get minimum backlash,same with the worm endfloat.with synscan you can do an auto tour of the sky when you tire a bit of searching for objects and properly setup i can get objects in the field of a 10mm eyepiece,handy when doing webcam fotos or dslr. the uk weathers very variable so i need to be ready to go if its clear and now ime retired i can stay up as late as i like. hope this help and is useful.sincerely oldgeezer

Thank you for all the great information.

I'm glad to know that it is possible buy a dob and later, by adding the proper mount and hardware, convert it for tracking and/or GOTO by spending a bit more. This makes the decision easier as it lowers the entry fee.

Thanks again for all the information.

• 9 years later...