NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Filter Project

SeedyF

I thought I would share this with you folks. I wanted a solar filter but wasn't prepared to pay £60-£80 for one to fit the aperture of my scope. So I made my own, and its brilliant. I even made a finder scope filter out of a plastic jar cap and a left over piece of the filter film.

I needed the following items;-

7" pie tin with removable base

Cardboard (I used an old box)

Duck Tape (silver to match the tin/filter film!)

Baader AstroSolar Filter Film

Foam (to act as padding to keep the filter fitting snugly)

Total cost - about £21. I only bought the pie tin and the filter film (£18), the rest was in the garage.

I popped the base out of the pie tin, cut a circular piece of card to the same size as the tin, cut out the inside of the cardboard circle leaving about a 1cm ring of carboard, placed the filter film over the pie tine, placed the ring of cardboard on top of the filter film, then taped the ring of cardboard and overlapping film down to the outside edge of the pie tin. Finally I stuck a couple of squares of foam onto the inside of the pie tin to make sure of a snug fit and keep it in place.

It fits over the front of the scope to keep you viewing safely. I really enjoy looking at sunspots with the filter and it works an absolute treat :D

There is only one downside - you can only use it for looking at the sun :)

post-21583-133877492033_thumb.jpg

post-21583-133877492044_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Does the pie tin fit snugly over the end of the scope or do you have to pad it out to secure it in place?

It should fit firmly enough that it is not possible a gust of wind to dislodge it. Use electrical or masking tape to secure it if the fit is on the sloppy side.

Good build SeedyF. Just the job!

Does the pie tin fit snugly over the end of the scope or do you have to pad it out to secure it in place?

Those images were taken before the final modification of adding thin but dense foam around the inside to hold it snuggly against the tube. There was only a little loose play but far too much for safe use. The fiam hokds it firmly in place.

• 1 year later...
Pie tin, nice! I have a 150P, so think I'll have to make a trip to Tesco after work, hopefully there's a Tesco's Value one :(

I think I got mine in Dunelm but I'm sure Tesco will have one :(

Archived