Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing this morning 00:05 11-10-10

I ventured into the garden at 00:05 this morning and had my best hour of the year.

Being overlooked by neighbours on 3 sides and in Central Lancashire good nights can be few and far between but most house lights are out by midnight and the sky was 100% clear and seeing was the best this year.

I have just started using some Vixen Ultima 10 x 50's over my trusty Tento 10 x 50's as the vixens are lighter , sharper and much brighter with better coatings.

After 10 - 15 minutes of dark adaption I started observing Jupiter just past due south whose 4 major moons were cleary visible . Moving round to the east in Andromeda I found Mirach with a noticable yellow hue to it. I had hoped from this point to make my way to the Triangulum Galaxy M33 but could not see it . I will try with a tripod next time and averted viewing. M31 was really easy to find following a line through u Andromeda and y Andromeda . No detail can be seen in 10 x 50's but it was still an impressive sight from my location. Whilst wondering what my next target would be I was treated to a Large Meteor with a good 2-3 second duration and a tail of approx 20 degrees .It was very bright with I would say a magnitude of about 4.0. Its radiant eminated below the Pleiades so I would assume it was a Taurid . Over the next 40 minutes between other observations I saw 3 more meteors with similar radiants and one farther east towards Orion. Next up M45 the Pleiades. Just visible with the naked eye from my location but amazing through the 10 x 50's with the full view of them. I always find it worthwhile staying with them for 10 minutes or so and slowly watching more stars appear as your eyes adjust more to them and maybe just a hint of nebulosity.

Looking farther east the next sight I always look for is the Double Cluster in Perseus. Again with 10x50's the sheer amount of stars in this open cluster can keep you occupied for quite a while. Just below this the area around Mirphak the main star in Perseus is always rewarding again with huge amount of interest in the sheer number of stars visible.

Looking round to the West at Sadr in Cygnus I could just make out M29 (I think) but will have to verify this on another night.

A quick glance back at Jupiter for a few minutes and another 10 minutes of attempted Meteor spotting brought to an end a very enjoyable and awe inspiring 60 minutes.

Paul

Hi Paul...

Congratulations on your observing session with the new binos.

Next time watch Jupiter last - it makes no sense to darkadapt and then go and look at a planet :(

No wonder you missed M33....it´s a lighthouse:eek: but after watching the gas giant I too would have trouble seeing it.

Didn´t try the comet ? Bright and easy in 10x50s and definitely a sight.

Thank you for the report

Great night :(

It's amazing what you can see with binoculars, the Andromeda galaxy is a real treat in the early morning when the sky gets dark and your eyes have adapted. I managed to see M33 last night but it was difficult, I had to tap the tripod to bring it out from the background, I think my skies are actually around 5.2 magnitude despite what it says in my signature.

:(:):(

Hi Paul...

Congratulations on your observing session with the new binos.

Next time watch Jupiter last - it makes no sense to darkadapt and then go and look at a planet :(

No wonder you missed M33....it´s a lighthouse:eek: but after watching the gas giant I too would have trouble seeing it.

Didn´t try the comet ? Bright and easy in 10x50s and definitely a sight.

Thank you for the report

Good point , I sometimes just don't think, its just so attractive up there all sparklin and a twinklin !

I will leave it till last tonight , after having a look for Hartley 2

cheers....

Paul

:(

Well done Paul

I Don't really know what to look for yet ;o(

I Just Enjoy looking at everything through my binoculars

That is when we have a clear sky here.

I Was All set to go out last night around 9pm (12th)

but we had low cloud roll in covering the moon

as soon as I grabbed the binoculars ;o(

Well done Paul

I Don't really know what to look for yet ;o(

I Just Enjoy looking at everything through my binoculars

That is when we have a clear sky here.

I Was All set to go out last night around 9pm (12th)

but we had low cloud roll in covering the moon

as soon as I grabbed the binoculars ;o(

I find the same quite often with binoculars , just sit back and take it all in at random ! Bins seem to have this effect especially if they are hand held, whilst scopes tend to focus my concentration on all the technical aspects and actually finding something with a non go-to scope. I am leaning very much towards meteor watching so need some very wide angle low power bins and a mount I can use for them whilst lying back in the lounger for some relaxed gazing. :D

Paul

Archived