Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 114 LCM Computerized Telescope

Hello,

I just received an 114 LCM reflector from the Astronomy Society of the Caribbean for an evaluation and review. In my opinion, it's a very nice inexpensive scope with a good computerized mount. On my first observation night, I got sight of Jupiter and its largest moons and the resolution was very nice for a $299 scope. I have used just a few telescopes, so I can make a thorough comparison, but I think it's a good starter scope. Has anybody used one of these before?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I purchased the 114LCM 7 months ago and have yet been able to use it. The instructions for aligning the finderscope make absolutely no sense to me and I am convinced that the guys in technical support are a bunch of idiots. I regret buying this telescope as it has turned out to be nothing but a $300 piece of Rubbish.

I imagine the 114 will shine under those darker carribean skies, back in england under our light pollution and general murk we usually require a little more apparture. the lcm mount appears to be a smaller lighter version of the slt mount. I am not a big fan of barlowed reflectors personally but then I am not hugely experienced in newtonians I have looked through them and once tried to collimate a barlowed one for a nephew I was not very successful and I found the whole experience very stressful as its not the done thing to swear in front of a 5 year old.

I purchased the 114LCM 7 months ago and have yet been able to use it. The instructions for aligning the finderscope make absolutely no sense to me and I am convinced that the guys in technical support are a bunch of idiots. I regret buying this telescope as it has turned out to be nothing but a $300 piece of Rubbish.

welcome to sgl SumV11

The LCM scopes generally have a bad review. The mounts are nowhere near good and only desperate retailers (no offence please) decide to sell them as good scopes because they apparently cost less or they have no idea what they are selling. However, the Sky-Watcher 127 GOTO scope for one will wipe the floor with the LCM any day. The 114mm also doent help. It has a ridiculously small mirror and an equally terrible focal length to do anything decent. I would not have this thing for free. :)

I started using a 60mm refractor and saw plenty with that. I upgraded to a 114mm * 500mm on an eq1 and saw a little more with that. Now i have a 8" f5. It's better to have a 114mm goto that you use than a massive very expensive scope that only comes out 4 times a year when the conditions are perfect. Use your scope enjoy it and grow. Once you feel like you need an upgrade keep this scope and I guarantee you will look back on this experience with fond memories!

Archived