Hello can you help

Hello, great forum here, i have a question though. Hopefully i'm going to be getting a Zenith 8in newtownian reflector (is this any good) around Christmas and was wondering if anyone can post a couple of pics of the kind of images i will be able to get with this kind of Telescope.

The Zenith telescope is sold on ebay and is in the same category as Seben, Event Horizon, Sylvan and Optron plus possibly a few more names that sell this telescope and the 150/1400 reflector. Save up a bit more money and buy a good telescope from a trusted brand such as Skywatcher, Celestron, Meade or Orion. You will not be disappointed with one of these brands.

Peter

Peter is spot on with his advice ChrisG - the Zenith and it's kin are not a good investment.

It's far better to get a smaller aperture, but decent scope from a reputable brand such as the ones Peter lists.

I would definitely avoid that scope. These companies count on people wanting a REAL bargain (and who doesn't) and thinking the're getting one. Trouble is they give the hobby bad advertising because when used these scopes are a big put off as they don't give the beautiful views they should for their advertised specifications.

If you have a fixed budget of around that needed for the scope you mentioned I'd opt for something like the Skywatcher Explorer 130 or 130p

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

There's plenty of satisfied users of these scopes on this forum.

Thanks for the advice, i'm hoping to attach my DSLR to whatever i get, will i be able to do this with a 130P and what kind of shots will be possible? Sorry for all the questions, it's just raw enthusiasm :(

I'd not get your hopes about about astro photography. Ita tough row to hoe with a lot of potential problems. Connecting DSLRs to a scope is seldom ever as easy as you may imagine no moatter what scope you have.

I;d definitely avoid ebay scopes - too many people get burned paying over the odds for a junk scope - get a deent brand like Slywatcher, meade, Celestron, TAL etc and you will (a) get better views and (:( have a quality scope.

Archived