Skywatcher 130P Goto - Advice on buying extras

Hi all, I'm a newbie to scopes and will probably get the Skywatcher 130P SynScan GOTO as a Christmas present this year based on what looks like very good feedback. I certainly like the thought of not spending valuable time trying to locate things, with more time to actually observe. As I will also get some money from relatives, can anyone advise whether I should buy any extras to start with? Should I look to get a moon filter, a Barlow, a higher mag eyepiece or a collimator? Any advice on the quality of the eyepieces supplied? Is it worth considering an eyepiece set such as the Revelation? Can anyone recommended literature/websites?

Any advice most welcome.

Hi and welcome Mark :o. The first accessory you should buy for that scope is a decent power supply. The 8 x AA battery pack is fairly useless IMO, so get yourself a 12V power pack (usually referred to as a power tank) and a proper lead for it. You will get a Barlow with the scope and 2 eyepieces that are ok for starters. I understand the Revelation set is good, but I do not have one, so wait for someone else's view on that. A Cheshire collimator is not expensive and you will benefit from a well-collimated scope. Keep asking the questions!

You should try out the EPs that come with it and then improve them if you feel the need.

I think 3/4 carefully chosen EPs will be a better option then the EP set. A moon filter is almost a must but I would skip the color filters. Most people, including myself, prefer the natural color instead of fake color they give.

Believe me the list will grow, mine is and only been at it a month!, i cant stop spending,

What i got first was moon filter and eyepieces, then do what i do and spend hours on here, i've learnt so much and now know what i need to get, you will have loads of help of here

Thanks for the overall advice guys/gals (I don't want to assume too much!). Any specific advice if I do buy a couple of extra EPs?

Best advice is: Read lots of reviews. Then try the ones with the scope to find out what you like, then make a choice. :icon_cool:

Best thing I can do is simulate what I would buy for myself, if I had the 130p and explain why I made the choices. Then you can read some more and make up your mind.

The scope haves a 650mm FL and haves a max useful mag of 260x, but on most nights 200x should probably be the max for sharp images.

Taking that in mind I would get a nice 25mm EP for widefield (~25x).

Something in the 12mm range for smaller dsos (~50x).

A 6mm for planets and globular clusters (~100x).

And a 3mm for planets on good nights (~200x).

Or get the 25mm, 6mm and a good barlow for the other 2 mags.

Regarding make/model, and having a 125£ limit (same as the revelation kit), I would buy:

A TMB 6mm off skies unlimited for 36£

A TAL 2x Barlow for 35£ at flo

Then wait for a televue 25mm plossl to pop on the 2nd hand market and get it with the remaining 50£.

It's fun to play with other people's money on cloudy nights! :o:):headbang:

EDIT: Now seriously, I only wrote this up cause I had time on my hands. It's very easy to spend loads of money on this hobby if you buy before you know what you really need/want.

• 2 months later...

Finally got the scope today and put it all together to check for any problems. Noticed that one of the spider assembly arms is bent and that the eyepiece focusser bar is also not straight. This doesn't look right to me - am I correct in assuming this has probably been damaged in transit?

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL :)

A bent spider would indicate to me that it's taken a bad knock in transit - this is very rare.

Is the main tube perfectly circular at the open end? Does the large end cap fit ok? it should just click in place and hold on well.

If these two bits are ok then it's likely to be an assembly fault. Either way let the retailer know immediately and they should be able to replace the damaged parts or send a new tube out to you.

The spider should be perfectly symmetrical and hold the secondary mirror at exactly 45 degrees to the focuser (which should also be properly square to the tube and firm with little or no play).

Hope that helps :D

As far as literature is concerned I would recommend "Turn Left at Horizon". it is easy to use and understand with plenty of night sky objects to keep you busy for quite some time. Can picked up online for about £15.

Enjoy your new scope.

Archived