Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First visual of veil nebula

simon955

Now that I am armed with 12" of light gathering power and a clear night I decided to track down an object that had evaded me ever since I started astrnonmy.

After a bit of neck strain trying to look almost directly up through the finder while crouching down I pushed the dob to what i thought was 52cyg. Using the Oiii filter I saw it instantly unmistakably the witches broom section, to me it looked like threads of light loosely floating in the sky. My 6inch reflector with the quite brutal Oii filter didnt offer enough light to give a postive identification. With four times the power it was an amazing sight, i went looking for the fainter parts of the veil area but was fustrated by fogged up glasses and eyepieces. It was very wet on the ground that night.

After being satisfied with my deep space observing I had to have a look at the beauty that is Jupiter. I have viewed jupiter many many times but I still love it, an attractive arrangement of moons, two each side ended a short but successful viewing session.

Agreed, and if you saw it on a wet night you have much more to come. I don't think the netwrork is really fainter than the broom but just harder to find, so I simply slew across from the broom till I bump into it. Pickering's Triangular Wisp (my favourite object name in astronomy!!) is also worth a try.

Olly

Saw the Witch's Broom on Monday with a 12" Dob and a Lumicon OIII filter at 62x in a 24mm Panoptic. It was glorious with lots of wispy detail visible. Can't believe it's taken me 3 years to get round to it.

edit: Why is not marked in Stellarium??

Update: On another rare clear night where it wasnt so wet I tracked down the other areas of this object, I was suprised how far I had to move the scope to find it. I saw lovley detials and it really did resemble some of the great astrophotos that have been published (not the colour though). The veil is an amazing object and I am glad that I went back for a second look. Next time I will take some sketches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

I too saw the veil for the first time this Autumn- at the Kelling star party.

Using a mere 80ed & a borrowed Oiii filter,Boy was I dead chuffed!, but not content with this amazing(for me) feat i ditched the oiii filter & tried again-the witches broom part was right on the limit, but the other half was "easy"-though i'd never have found it without seeing the target first through the Oiii

Anyway the point of my post is maybe you should pencil in a trip to Kelling, or elsewhere with your dob next year. NO INK IT IN, IN LARGE LETTERS! :eek:

Said owner of Oiii filter showed me the veil in his 6" newt afterwards, which was pretty stunning- i'd say it would probably be mind blowing in your big dob at a dark site.

The Veil is my favourite summer object :)

On a good night, armed with my 4" ED refractor, 31mm Nagler and O-III Astronomik filter, I can get the Witches Broom, the Bridal Veil (which I believe is the same as the Network nebula that Olly and Mick have mentioned) and Pickerings Wisp all in the same field of view - a stunning sight IMHO :eek:

I'm outside and looking at the veil and still can't see the Pickering's whisp :eek:

Just checked Google sky to confirm its position and still no joy...

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

It's a faint, elongated, vaguely triangular patch of nebulosity around 1/3rd of the way between the tip of the "handle" end of the Witches Broom and the narrower end of the Bridal Veil segment.

It's much weaker than the E/W portions of the nebula. If you're certain you're on the right spot, use averted vision and see if you can detect it by moving the scope back and forth. Look for a 'brightening' in the area... something that looks like an irregular patch of very transparent cirrus clouds. It won't be as large as what's marked in an astronomy program or in an atlas, either. In your scope i'm guessing it might be the size of the brightest portion of M42. Keep trying, i really hope you get to see it. :eek:

Archived