NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HOW do you do this?

Peter Reader

Hi guys!

I've been having lots of fun imaging Jupiter with wxAstrocapture and my Philips toucam through a Skywatcher 200P.

I'd quite like to have a go at some of the larger galaxies and nebulae (mainly Andromeda at the moment)

I have no idea where to start or what to do...

Anyone have the time to explain a bit?

Much appreciated

Pete

You will not be able to fit M31 and a most of the large nebulae in the field of view of your scope and webcam combination. Is the camera modified for long exposure if it is not it will not be suitable for the majority of DSO's. A good starting point would be globular cluster which are brighter and smaller and should suit the field of view of your kit.

Regards

Kevin

There is a lot of magnification yes, I'm not sure it's because of the size of the sensor but sounds likely seeing as it is rather small compared to DSLR's with much larger sensors.

What do I need to do to get less magnification? Have I simply got the wrong telescope for this or is it just a case of a new camera?

Thanks

Pete

Tell me about it, I have the SW250 and whilst it is fine for planetary and some dso's the sensor size of my spc900 webcam gives too small a FOV for any real dso work.

To enable me to do guideing I modified a finderscope to take an LX modded webcam, this gives a better Fov and I have used it for capturing M42 last year.

The finder focal length is approx 150-200mm whereas the SW250 is 1200mm

This has made me realise that perhaps modifing a webcam to take differing lenses would be a better option for dso until I can afford a Canon 1000d for the SW250

Archived