This thread could save your life.

Its winter and getting power to our scopes and other equipment needs to be done safely.

This is what I will be using this winter. all in all it cost around £80.00

Weatherproof Outdoor Cable Junction Box

Draper 230V 13A Rcd Adaptor

25m 240v Garage Caravan Power Hook Up Lead

Caravan Hook Up Male & Female Mains Cable Adaptors

I've done something similar I have the whole obs on an RCD

There have been far too many nights where it's started spitting or snowing and even with a rain sensor sitting there I shudder to think what could happen

I'm going to cover all my 240v pieces in plastic as well just in case. The really worrying thing is the electrics on the 383L are partially exposed, but I can't cover that up because of the cooling :o

Im out in the open on the lawn for at least the next 2 years so i have had to get this sorted.

It's an essential regardless of where you are outside, good thread!

If you have an RCD on your house then you don't need another on an extension running from your house.

I have old fashioned fuses, I know I need to change it over :o

Yup and also make sure your plugs are rubber. This plug was on my 12v / mains adapter and when I picked it up to plug it in to the extension lead I didnt notice that the hard plastic plug had chipped when I dropped it when setting up. Finger on live wire.....lucky and alone in a dark garden. :o

post-15088-133877488623_thumb.jpg

I'd use the RCD that's in this:

RCD Hook Up Mains Lead Camping Trailer Tent Motorhome on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 18:14:47 BST)

If you have a caravan, it might be a good buy (together with the male and female mains adapters as per the original posting), otherwise I'd just buy the RCD itself (Draper 89301 INLINE RCD 16AMP) and cut into a long extension cable to install it.

Draper 89301 INLINE RCD 16AMP: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Archived