Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Large High Quality Prints?

Steve 1962

• 4 weeks later...

If you are made of money, Metro (London, maybe other places) are superb. Used by pros. Might be worth looking at Photobox.co.uk - not used their poster service but they do have one and it does not look that expensive. Have used them for other things many times and very happy with them...

d

I go to a small professional photographer and we sit down at his screen and thrash out some test prints at small scale before doing any big ones. If you can find someone with the right machine I think this is the way because what comes off the printer will not be just like your own screen view.

Since I'm in France the particular place will not be of interest!

Olly

Photobox are a pretty reliable supplier, get a test print done first and then the large one. Personally I get all my prints from deviantArt.com based in America as they are cheaper even when you include the overseas postage and the quality is very high. It helps that I have a "until hell freezes over" membership subscription which includes the print account so I get them a bit cheaper.

I have got some 30"x20" poster-sized prints of some of my deep stuff and some constellations. They look nice, but the subtlety is a bit muted (e.g. the faint wisps of Barnard's Loop I had managed to tease out of a long exposure of Orion didn't show up in the print). No doubt because of the different gamma/brightness/luminance etc. setup between the printer and my CRT.

I use Aldi http://www.aldiphotos.co.uk for my prints as they are very reasonably priced at less than £8 for each poster sized print (plus P&P). Those prints do come out nicely for less demanding, terrestrial scenes and portraits, too.

Archived