Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't get Stellarium to run with my graphics card

Hi guys,

I can't get Stellarium to run on my Desktop PC. I can run it on my small laptop which will be more useful for stargazing at night, but I would like to be able to run it on the bigger screen on my desktop PC so I can have a good play around with it.

The error I have is with atioglxx.dll. I have researched this and found other people have had problems with older ATI graphics cards like mine. I am using a Radeon X800 graphics card with PCI Express. I have tried downloading a new driver for my card but this has made no difference. From what I can see the problem is with OpenGL.

I'd rather not have to buy a new graphics card unless absolutely necessary (my wallet is sulking after some serious astronomy overuse). I don't have any problems with any other software such as Adobe Photoshop, only with Stellarium.

I have posted a query on the Stellarium board, but I wondered if anyone here had a similar problem and had a possible work around.

I recently downloaded this from the disc on the S@n magazine. I found that it crashed if I opened it from the desktop link but not if I opened it from the start menu in no openGL2 mode.

It runs perfectly this way, as far as I can tell-then again it is the only way I have ever used it...

I just tried both mods and visually could not see any difference, I would say that it just has the option there for cards which don't support open GL, on some older cards GL might be faster than without.

maybe...

Archived