Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pole align max

Has anybody used this software? Looks pretty impressive but I have read the manual and am a bit confused (nothing new there I hear you all say!).......

Do I do a normal alignment with EQMod & Starry night then fire up PAM, or do I use PAM completely without a pointing model defined in EQMod?

How do I do a Sync on a star when it slews to it?

I had a look for tutorials on Pole Align Max but all google threw up was a question asked on here some time ago with no answer, so I thought I would try again:D

Polealign has good and bad points.

Good

• free
  • good support (Yahoo group)
  • easy to use (when you have figured it out)
  • good feedback about the changes in alt/az you need to make
  • much quicker than drift aligning

Bad

• can be tricky to setup
  • you need reliable plate solving
  • you need the full version of Pinpoint
  • is only calibrated for J2000
    • this really limits its usefulness
    • so it will give you the pole 10 years ago
    • there is a spreadsheet on the Yahoo group to help with the recalculation
    • I think the authors are working on an update for this

Overall it is very useful but I now use T-point because of the J2000 issue. However, for a quick alignment that puts you within a short distance of the pole it is very useful. So if I was setting up from fresh I would use this first and then move onto T-point to fine tune things.

Paul

you need the full version of Pinpoint

Thats is incorrect, it works fine without the full version.

The Jnow/J2000 is the biggest issue with it, time to hassle in the FocusMax Yahoo group to see if we will ever get to see an update for this.

Thats is incorrect, it works fine without the full version.

Sorry was going off memory :icon_salut:, thought it needed the full version.

As for t-point then this is "supposedly" very accurate as it measures the polar alignment using most of the sky whereas PAM uses a portion xx degrees across (depends the setting you use). However, polar alignment with T-point can be a bit of a faff with various correction factors to sort of guesstimate.

If I didn't have T-point I wouldn't buy it for the polar alignment capabilities, plus you need the Sky Professional to run it. But T-point is unbeatable for pointing correction (better than Maxpoint) and I can get repeatable pointing all over the sky to less than 30 arc seconds; every target is bang centered even after a meridian flip.

In your shoes I'd go with PAM but the J2000/JNOW issue limits it. You could always get it pretty accurate with PAM and then use another method (drift or one of the programs to do drift with a CCD) to refine the alignment.

Paul

Archived