What settings to use with SPC900

Uplooker

Hi All,

Hope I have posted in the right section

I have searched but not quite found what I was after.

When trying to image Jupiter with my SPC880 flashed to SPC900 webcam what settings should I use? I am using a SW 150P 6" Newt, currently with the standard SW Barlow, just waiting on a Orion Shorty Plus x2 barlow turning up. I am also using SharpCap.

I did try imaging on Fri 24th, just using the standard settings, but it came out like a very fuzzy over-exposed full moon. I admit that I did not have the focus very sharp. Not too sure how much of an effect using the SW barlow had and whether I would see a big improvement using the Orion Shorty.

Any advice on Brightness, FPS, resolution and Gamma etc would be greatly appreciated. Do I only change these settings from within SharpCap? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere on here about people changing the settings within WcRmac, is this to change the settings "semi-permanently" or as your imaging?

I apologise for so many questions in one post, thanks for reading and thank you in advance for replies.

Ian

The easiest way to change settings on an SPC900NC is using WcCtrl software. WcCtrl - Description. This runs in addition to your capture software.

These are my default settings

Turn in on to manual exposure,

Gamma to 0 (unless you have an very high contrast target and you want to maximise the shadow detail).

Brightness to 50%. (this only effects what you see on the screen, not what is captured)

Frame rate = 10fps (Never go faster than or you'll get horrible compression). 5 fps is the seeing conditions are VERY stable.

White balance (WB) to auto. If the colour becomes unstable (sometimes happens for Saturn), wait for it to stabilise then press freeze WB.

Balance the exposure and gain to keep the gain as low as possible whilst still ending up with a bright image (but being careful to underexpose a bit so as to make sure you don't burn out any highlights). If in doubt underexpose rather than overexpose.

Finally, spend time getting the focus as spot on as you can, it really pays dividends in the final image.

Others may use different settings and techniques.

I hope this helps.

No need to use two programs. The latest version of Sharpcap allows control of all the webcam settings.

There is no definite answer as to which settings you should use. What works fr one set up in one part of the country, wont necessarily work for another or a different area and even from day to day.

the best advice is to try severl until you have a setting you're happy with. Keep a note of it (I keep mine on my phone) for future reference.

Something to bear in mind... particularly running a laptop... if you are running on batteries, the screen will almost certainly dim down... don't forget to take this into account when your adjusting the settings.. the image may look very dim, but after capture it may end up burnt out. I've been burnt by that one myself.

The image may not look like much on screen, but it's amazing what the stacking process will do when it pulls the best frames from the AVI and combines them.

Archived