NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 mount query

Hi,

I'm about to splash out on an NEQ6 mount (hence the need to sell my HEQ-5 and TAL200k. See the For sale section. Shameless Plug)

I notice that you can get a EQ6 Syntrek (as opposed to Synscan) for around £100 cheaper than the Synscan model.

Given that the Syntrek model has all the same hardware built in, could I get away without upgrading to Synscan if I use EQMOD for all my controls, thus bypassing the need to buy the Synscan handset?

Hi Luke,

The answer is YES YES YES. that is exactly what i did. Join the EQMOD Yahoo group - all the info yoyu will need. As a basic down load ASCOM then EQMOD and use it with the start programme of your choice. I started with Stellarium but found it too memory / processor hungry for the old XP laptop, switched to Carte du Ceil

Hi Luke,

The answer is YES YES YES. that is exactly what i did. Join the EQMOD Yahoo group - all the info yoyu will need. As a basic down load ASCOM then EQMOD and use it with the start programme of your choice. I started with Stellarium but found it too memory / processor hungry for the old XP laptop, switched to Carte du Ceil

Thanks. Sounds good to me!

Will I need to buy any extra hardware or cables to do all this?

I also did the same and bought just the SynTrek version, as I was confident that I would always be using the mount with a laptop.

You will need an EQDIR module that connects the mount to a laptop. The modules can be purchased with either a serial or USB connection at the laptop end. I got a USB version from these guys: hitecastro.co.uk. FLO sell them: Cables, Leads and Controllers - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

There are also schematics available to build your own if you're proficient with a soldering iron.

Yes, you need an EQDirect device to provide the necessary TTL interface to the mount. These come in the form of either RS232 or USB devices.

See here for a list of EQDirect vendors or here for instructions on how to build your own.

If you opt for a RS232 based EQDIRect (handy if you need a long cable run from PC to mount) then you will also need a usb-RS232 convertor if your PC doesn't have its own inbuilt serial port(s).

Also for mount control when at the eyepiece you will probably want to get a PC gamepad (wired or wireless).

There are databases of suitable USB-RS232 convertors and gamepads on the EQMOD Yahoo group.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the noise the mount makes like running a bolt over a cheese grater! I am sure it is lack of any grease on the small motor gears. Only at certain speeds in EQMOD using a paddle. How difficult would it be to get some grease in there??

This is a new NEQ6 mount so I am reluctant to just take it apart. (or send it back)

Archived