Greetings

pduk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there is a lot to be said for taking time, starting with cheap binoculars, getting to know the constellations and main stars etc. then if poss getting advice or even better getting to a local star party or astronomy club and trying out some gear to get an idea of what kind of gear suits you.

Just a brief update, and having taken on board what Luke says: I should be taking delivery of a cheap pair of 10x50 binoculars this week (the Bresser ones) and I have a couple of books to get going with so I can try to gain some basic familiarity with what's up there. The telescope can wait for a while I think.

I've just found out that there is in fact a Hertford Astronomy Group... I think I should contact them and try to pop along to their next meeting in October... :icon_salut:

Paul.

• 1 year later...

I dug out my old welcome post to write an update. Though I haven't been posting, I've been busy reading and discovering, and playing with some cheap 10x50 bins as well. I've just placed an order with FLO for the skywatcher 200p dobsonian, along with a collimation tool, rigel, 2x barlow and r/a finder. Yes, santa has been kind! I know it'll take a while for everything to arrive but at least I have started the ball rolling. I also have the new edition of "Turn Left at Orion" and a couple of other books plus some nice apps on my phone.

This forum has been incredibly helpful in providing information to make an informed choice and also to set expectations... more later :D

Paul.

Archived