NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6" Skywatcher F8 refractor ota

It would have more light grasp but the APO is a much "nicer" scope. I certainly wouldn't swap and i doubt you'll see much more in the reflector given the central obstruction. Now if you went up to a 8" reflector then it might be a different story, but i still doubt i'de switch hehe

It will have more colour (fringing of uncorrected light convergence) but will be scarily good at higher powers on planets and the Moon. Whilst it is true that there is no substitute for apperture, that apperture has to be decent optically. I'd say if you can get the OTA for less than £175 and have at least an HEQ5 (pref an EQ6) then go for it.

Arthur

Thats one disadvantage to the 6" 'frac, you need a MOUNT for it, although a CG5 would take it i guess, as celestron sell that same setup as the C6R-GT. Dave Gibbons has one of these OTA's for sale with a fantastic focuser upgrade. Given a fringe killer I think it would outperform the ED100 but wouldn't be as portable.

how much would a fringe killer set me back? i will be using the 6" with a ccd. and i think it could be Dave Gibbons who is selling it on the uk site, he's been very helpful with my 100 and 1 questions,being new new to this i just wanted to make sure i get it right.

jb

Depends if you wanted to do any photography at any point. The ED100 is an excellent photography scope, but the achro isn't. If you only ever want to observe visually then the 6" achro is probably as good if not slightly better given the higher light grasp and resolution. The false colour in the achro though does reduce the resolution somewhat as the details are slightly smeared. The 2 are closely matched in my opinion so not worth having both unless you want to do photography. Others might disagree though :)

gordon, would you sell the 100ed or keep it if you had the 6"?

jb

Recetly I owned both for a short while - I have kept the ED100. While the 150mm f8 refractor is a good scope the 2 reasons I decided to keep the ED100 over it were:

1. The views through the ED100 were crisper, sharper and almost free of false colour - especially noticable on the moon and jupiter. While the 150mm showed fainter objects, the difference was less than I had anticipated - I think the ED scopes perform better than you would expect for their apeture while the 150mm performs as you would expect (not very scientific I know but it's the best way that I can describe it !).

2. The 150mm was much, much bigger and unwieldy than the ED100 is and needs a correspondingly more capable mount. I had mine on an EQ5 which was really not adequate with the standard aluminum tripod - it got better when I put it on a big solid ash tripod but I was still not 100% happy that the mount was coping. I have found the EQ5 fine for the ED100 - I can even get away with an AZ-3 altazimuth mount for "grab and go" type viewing at up to 100X or so with it. The ED100 optical tube weighs about 8lbs while the 150mm is 18lbs - a big difference believe me.

I think the 150mm would be a fine scope on a solid permanent mount in an observatory / roll off shed etc. For me it was just too much scope to be shifting around. They offer great value for money - a decade ago a 6 inch refractor would have been a pipe dream for many amateurs - mind you so would a 100mm apo refractor !.

I hope thats some help.

John.

I had mine on an EQ5 which was really not adequate with the standard aluminium tripod - it got better when I put it on a big solid ash tripod but I was still not 100% happy that the mount was coping.

Worth noting that the EQ5 now comes with a much sturdier Stainless Steel pipe tripod.

Archived