Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 350D not supported on Windows 7 - I have an answer!!

Hi All,

If you have a Canon 350D and are trying to automate image capture, get in touch I have written an exe file that will enable AA4 or command line to set the shutter etc Using DSLR Shutter from a command line. I was really sick when I had to upgrade my computer and found that the camera was not supported any more!!

ATB

John

• 4 weeks later...

John,

I am in the same boat, sick as my old trusty 350d is modded as well and junk due to laptop upgrade to windows 7 64bit.

Any help appreciated but image capture in nebulosity is what I miss most as I used it to focus. have you a focus solution as well as dslr shutter

Cheers,

Dave

Hi, You can install xp on a "virtual" drive (ie it is like a separate computer on you HD) -google for a program called Virtual Box and Install it. Its quite easy - just follow the prompts and accept the default options. once installed you can then install XP as a standalone operating system. When using this "drive" you dont have to shut XP down you simply save it in its present state (you can leave a file open) and next time you turn it on it will be just as you left it. I am using it very successfully, I have used PCs for yrs but recently change to a Macbook and then found I had programs that could not run on it, installing Virtual Box has given me the best of both worlds. Its worth a try - if it wont work you can just uninstall it - it takes about 10gb of disk space. email me if you have any problems.

Cheers Paul

Hi, You can install xp on a "virtual" drive (ie it is like a separate computer on you HD) -google for a program called Virtual Box and Install it. Its quite easy - just follow the prompts and accept the default options. once installed you can then install XP as a standalone operating system. When using this "drive" you dont have to shut XP down you simply save it in its present state (you can leave a file open) and next time you turn it on it will be just as you left it. I am using it very successfully, I have used PCs for yrs but recently change to a Macbook and then found I had programs that could not run on it, installing Virtual Box has given me the best of both worlds. Its worth a try - if it wont work you can just uninstall it - it takes about 10gb of disk space. email me if you have any problems.

Cheers Paul

Paul, its very kind of you to pass this on, it sounds like a good work around. I am wondering though as an imager just how I could run all the other stuff in windows 7 at the same time such as eqmod PHD image capture software and Cartes du ceil as well, I feel using both operating systems at the same time would not work, what do you think.

In the meantime I am exploring other avenues but many thanks for the info I do appreciate it

Dave

Hi Dave, so long as you allocate enough resources (use the default butt you can change them later - memory etc.) there should be no problem, I have office 2007 running on the xp module as well as many other applications, it is possible to simply move a file / object from one system to the other (so long as its compatible) - sounds too good to be true but is is good - you should see how well XP runs on the Macbook - Microsoft would be green with envy. Its well worth a try.

Cheers Paul

Hi Dave, so long as you allocate enough resources (use the default butt you can change them later - memory etc.) there should be no problem, I have office 2007 running on the xp module as well as many other applications, it is possible to simply move a file / object from one system to the other (so long as its compatible) - sounds too good to be true but is is good - you should see how well XP runs on the Macbook - Microsoft would be green with envy. Its well worth a try.

Cheers Paul

Paul, I made a start on this now, just waiting for Win XP to land on the door mat and I will load that and see how things pan out.

Thanks for the input

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys for the help. I am running win7 64bit.

An update I have loaded the virtual drive software and windows XP on that which all works swimmingly as predicted. However my camera is still not recognised and will not connect so thats it I guess, i'm stuffed for a focusing solution. It must be that the usb ports still work in the background under windows 7.

So my trusty old workhorse modded canon 350d that has taken some stunning pics for me will soon be up for sale. thanks again for all the help

• 1 year later...

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be worth re-posting here:-

I worked out how to control my Canon 350D with APT on Windows 7 64-bit, thus:-

On the Canon 350D, set:-

Bulb

Custom Function 7: Mirror Lockup - Enable

Auto Power Off: Off

Communication: PC connection (not the usual Print/PTP)

On the Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC

Select USB drop-down,

- select Canon Digital Camera - Attach

- cancel the "Device Connected" dialog, unless you want to download images

Select Tools drop-down,

- select Settings

Change COM2 to Physical serial port to match that used by the USB->RS232 Camera Shutter control cable. I usually have to meddle with Windows 7's Device Manager to bring this in-line.

Start APT, set Long Exp. Control to COM2, set Bulb Seconds, press Shoot.

APT then usually crashes first time for me, but I just re-start it and we're off! Press shoot, and a few moments after the shutter closes I see the picture on the screen.

Notes:-

On the XP Virtual Machine, I installed the Canon WIA drivers from the CD labelled Canon DIGITAL EOS Solution Disk v1 1.1, "CEL-SF40A2M0" "EIG"

I use Windows 7 Professional, which comes with a licensed copy of Windows XP to run as a Virtual Machine. If you run Home Premium, you'll have to source a copy of XP from elsewhere. You might then be able to run it under Virtual Box for less outlay.

• 7 months later...

Hi all. I got my Window 7 pc yesterday and had the same problem but have found whichworks http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-driver-for-canon-eos-300d/d8917040-dd26-45f8-80f5-51cb4b94d597 it will let you tranfer images etc. EOS Utilites won't work on 7 from what I can tell but am workingon that to allow remote imaging.

Pete

Archived