Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR imaging: delay between exposures

Hi all,

I've noticed a fair bit of noise in my DSLR images (800 ISO). I'm wondering if this is caused by too short a delay (currently around 15 seconds) between exposures. At the moment I am using 30 second exposures, but aim to squeeze a little more out of my setup if at all possible.

So what sort of delay should I be using?

Thanks

I wouldn't have thought modding has any effect on noise.

How many darks are you taking (do lots), and are they of the same exposure as the lights? And what stacking software do you use? Registax?

I've noticed a fair bit of noise in my DSLR images (800 ISO). I'm wondering if this is caused by too short a delay (currently around 15 seconds) between exposures. At the moment I am using 30 second exposures, but aim to squeeze a little more out of my setup if at all possible.
I very much doubt it. My Canon1000D has virtually zero dark current in 30secs (I never use darks), so I can't see how a rest would help. The read noise is very low as well, so this shouldn't make it look noisy. If might if you have a bright sky though? Or simply not enough subs?

NigelM

From what I've learned, I think it's probably not enough / or long enough subs. For my last two targets I only ended up with around 20-30 odd subs after the rest were discarded
Well here is M57 with a 1000D from two nights ago taken though an 8.5" Newtonian - 22x30sec frames, combined in DSS using 20 bias frames but no darks. I have deliberately stretched it so you can see the noise levels relative to the objects. This is using a LP filter, which will have cut the noise in the red channel a bit, but you shouldn't be doing any worse than this with the 500D.

m57_sgl.jpg

NigelM

Archived