Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choosing a Telescope

I saw andromeda for the first time in binocs at Kelling recently - talk about gob smacked lol :)

Yeah, me too!

Which field were you in? I was in Blue field and some helpful chap (sorry, it was totally dark so I didn't recall your face/name) showed me how to find Andromeda through another incredibly helpful chap's binoculars; all were rewarded with Jaffa cakes and light sticks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ogri, I do like the idea of one smaller scope for travelling (like the 127 MAK) and a dob for DSOs etc in the garden. That does seem like a good setup.

Please don't say "So little time, so many 'scopes": I'm having a hard enough time choosing as it is and I am worried I might end up with several scopes in my future.:):D

I saw andromeda for the first time in binocs at Kelling recently - talk about gob smacked lol :)

Aye it looks lovely in dads 15 x 70's (I may have to get a pair of them myself at some point).

For any 'scope on an AZ3, the trick for speedy setup and packing away, is leave the solid tray off the tripod. It folds up and unfolds very fast then (still has the support frame the tray sits on).

Aye it looks lovely in dads 15 x 70's (I may have to get a pair of them myself at some point).

For any 'scope on an AZ3, the trick for speedy setup and packing away, is leave the solid tray off the tripod. It folds up and unfolds very fast then (still has the support frame the tray sits on).

^ +1 :)

That's exactly what I do. However that tray is really useful for putting things on. Glasses, eyepieces, filters, glasses :)

Did I say glasses?

I think I need to get myself a Patrick Moore monocle on a string.

"I'm having a hard enough time choosing as it is and I am worried I might end up with several scopes in my future.:):D "

I know exactly what you mean! lol!

Luckily they don't really take up much room. For example my ST120 lives on the AZ3, all folded up, leaning in a wardrobe safe and sound, covered in a sleeping bag. 2 minutes and it's outside cooling down (which doesn't take long at all - by the time I get the eyepieces and everything sorted, it's about there).

The dob lives out the way in the garage, and it's pinched one of my motorbike covers to live under, so cooldown isn't a problem either.

There's a few 'scopes I would really like to get at some point as well, just to spend some time looking around with them. For example the old Japanese 80mm Topic F15 'scope - I'd be on cloud 9 with one of them for a while, if not permanently. The Tal 100 RS too . . :)

PS "However that tray is really useful for putting things on."

I use the concrete path, with the EP's in their boxes wrapped in bubblewrap. Helps cooldown (Hyperions are big), and they can't fall further than the floor they are already on. :icon_eek:

There's a few 'scopes I would really like to get at some point as well, just to spend some time looking around with them. For example the old Japanese 80mm Topic F15 'scope - I'd be on cloud 9 with one of them for a while, if not permanently. The Tal 100 RS too . . :)

You know its the . . in that paragraph that really worries me!! Always room for more!:):D

Both hubby and I wear glasses so the tray would probably be pretty useful or I'd end up stepping on them in the dark!

That has happened to me so many times. And I've even got a tiny scratch on my frames from standing up too quickly and grazing them on my EQ mount last week :)

We both wear specs too - take my advice and put 'em on a lanyard round your neck - when you're out in the cold wrapped up in wooly hats and scarves they're a pita to put on/off without hunting round in the dark for 'em. If you have to put them down then use a white topped picnic table and a red light torch - oh and wear fingerless thermal gloves - you'll thank me in the end lol :)

Then of course there's always the balancing your glasses on your head while looking through the eyepiece only to have them crash down on your face as you stand up accompanied by peals of laughter from your kids. That's always a nice life-affirming moment and not a reminder that you're getting old!

We both wear specs too - take my advice and put 'em on a lanyard round your neck - when you're out in the cold wrapped up in wooly hats and scarves they're a pita to put on/off without hunting round in the dark for 'em. If you have to put them down then use a white topped picnic table and a red light torch - oh and wear fingerless thermal gloves - you'll thank me in the end lol :)

+1 +1 +1

Three great ideas I haven't heard of before. I have the white topped picnic table but seldom use it (great idea for glasses, btw!). Fingerless thermal gloves is also a great idea :) And the lanyard I have heard of but have yet to find one. I guess I shall resort to eBaying some gaudy piece of cotton.

Good idea. I stupidly only own one pair of glasses so if I broke them it would be a disaster. Fingerless gloves, hmmm don't own a pair but I think you are right, they would be very useful if not exactly stylish!

I leave my glasses on, otherwise I would never find them (plus with severe astigmatism, acute glaucoma, etc., got to use them for observing anyway).
I've tried that with my binoculars and I found it very uncomfortable but if I could get that to work comfortably that would be a great bonus. Especially with my rubbish night sight.

Then of course there's always the balancing your glasses on your head while looking through the eyepiece only to have them crash down on your face as you stand up accompanied by peals of laughter from your kids. That's always a nice life-affirming moment and not a reminder that you're getting old!

Balancing glasses on one's head is exactly how I ended up with the tiny scratch on the frame. Basically when one is down on the ground, sitting or kneeling and then attempting to rise - it's not a particularly secure location on the top of your head for a pair of glasses to be!

Argos used to do one like this (but now do the same thing Energiser branded for a lot more money) LED Head Torch/Light/Lamp with Red Night Vision LED on eBay (end time 26-Sep-10 11:33:26 BST) and I find it's really good. :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/sale/

+1

I have that one and from that seller too. It's great - just make sure you flick the switch the right way and get red and not white light at a star party!

Warm clothing is a must for this lark.

On the issue of tracking planets its a hard one to give anyone an absolute. Some people dont micd nudging a Dob around but I hate it. Its not so much the nudging its waiting for the vibrations to die down again.

In that respect a tracking scope offers a lot - it makes viewing a lot more pleasant and makes life a lot easier. Its also far easier on children and others who may be using the scope.

Archived