NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing a Telescope

Fingerless gloves, lanyard and red light torch are firmly on my list. Thanks!!:)

9/10 times I just get annoyed with the red light and switch on the white. Plus those times you need to go get a cup of tea or go to the loo and white light is unavoidable - I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid white light :)

However at star parties it can get you into a lot of trouble. There was, shall we say - a "Kerfuffle at Kelling" over unthoughtful use of white light :icon_eek:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried handles on a dob, like johninderby did with his 200p dob I bought A_B?

I find they work really nice. I might put a 'lazy susan' bearing on the base at some point, but so far, things seem to be pretty decent anyway. :)

whats the battery life like on those headlights? whats a cell battery?

I don't know tbh. mine's still going strong after a fair bit of use. :)

"Plus those times you need to go get a cup of tea or go to the loo and white light is unavoidable "

I leave the lights out and just use the red led personally. I do have pretty good night vision anyway though (a pupil welded wide open is a help in that regard, at least).

I don't know tbh. mine's still going strong after a fair bit of use. :)

"Plus those times you need to go get a cup of tea or go to the loo and white light is unavoidable "

I leave the lights out and just use the red led personally. I do have pretty good night vision anyway though (a pupil welded wide open is a help in that regard, at least).

They take 3 x AAA and it lasts forever.

A set of basic Energisers has lasted in mine the entire length of two star party weekends. I'd say you could leave the red light on for at least six hours constantly and still have usable light - if not longer. The red mode is quite weak though (it's what you want!) and may even run for 12 hours+.

The white mode is pretty darn bright. I would estimate it gives out a useful 50-70 lumens or more compared to some other flashlights I have (I like flashlights too :)).

Archived