NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

floaters and planets

I think the term for the blurry things floating in my eye is 'floaters'? Does everyone have them?

I find when I start looking at planets in my Mak I have clear vision but after a few minutes something drifts into my field of view and spoils the view of the planet. I imagine the floaters drift downward and come to rest on my lens! Are there any tricks I can use to get rid of this problem? I have tried looking up to make the floaters drift away, but they come back soon enough.

Is the size of the exit pupil relevant here? The exit pupil in my Mak when viewing planets is 0.5mm at 220x magnification. I imagine any obstruction to such a narrow stream of light would be very apparent.

I'd be AMAZED if anyone alive does not have a floater or two. I have a sizable one in my right eye which looks like a thin strand of cotton with a few bubbles on it (my telescopic observing eye) but i honestly have to say that it has never been an issue when i observe. I think the reason for this is because they are right on your eye and when we observe our eye(s) are focusing at objects far away that the floaters become invisible.

I am right eye dominant. I cant say that i have ever noticed any in my left eye. Maybe i dont have any in my left eye. They do tend to settle at the bottom of the eye but as you know, ANY movement of the eyeball sends them back into action.

I honestly dont think there is ANY cure for them. I wonder if they go away on people that have laser eye surgery.

I'm not saying we should all run out and have laser eye surgery.

I just dont notice my floater when observing.

To be honest..............i never see it unless i go looking for it (if you know what i mean)

Had the same problem the other night, had never noticed them before when looking through my scope! blumming annoying though! Found this:

Eye floaters are those tiny spots, specks, flecks and "cobwebs" that drift aimlessly around in your field of vision. While annoying, ordinary eye floaters and spots are very common and usually aren't cause for alarm.

Floaters and spots typically appear when tiny pieces of the eye's gel-like vitreous break loose within the inner back portion of the eye.

When we are born and throughout our youth, the vitreous has a gel-like consistency. But as we age, the vitreous begins to dissolve and liquefy to create a watery center.

Some undissolved gel particles occasionally will float around in the more liquid center of the vitreous. These particles can take on many shapes and sizes to become what we refer to as "floaters."

You'll notice that these types of spots and floaters are particularly pronounced when you peer at a bright, clear sky or a white computer screen. But you can't actually see tiny bits of debris floating loose within your eye. Instead, shadows from these floaters are cast on the retina as light passes through the eye, and those shadows are what you see.

You'll also notice that these specks never seem to stay still when you try to focus on them. Floaters and spots move when your eye moves, creating the impression that they are "drifting."

Hmmmmmmmm

Thanks for that matteboy. I have always wondered what causes them.

I tell a lie about mine...............

My right eye has a very small one. The big one is in my left eye. No wonder i have never seen the big one while observing.

I just tested my eyes against a very brightly lit cream coloured bedroom wall.

I am affected by floaters as well, along with many others I suspect. You are right that certain exit pupil sizes make them more obvious when observing - with me it's generally high power eyepieces such as my 3.5mm. Fortunately I only find them an issue with the moon and even then, not a big issue really.

I am affected by floaters as well, along with many others I suspect. You are right that certain exit pupil sizes make them more obvious when observing - with me it's generally high power eyepieces such as my 3.5mm. Fortunately I only find them an issue with the moon and even then, not a big issue really.

You are right. They ARE most notable at high mag when the FOV is smaller but i rarely venture below using a 9mm EP on a 130mm (F/L 650) scope. So they are not really visible to me.

Sounds like it is exit-pupil related if it is a problem at higher mags, as everyone seems to be suggesting. I haven't seen floaters at 50x for example. The only way to get a bigger exit pupil (while keeping the same magnification) would be to get more aperture... ;-) For a comfortable 5mm exit pupil at 250 mag, I would only need a 1250mm aperture - problem solved! If I'm right than owners of small Maks like me will tend to have worse experiences with floaters (small aperture + high magnification).

I wonder if there is a low tech solution though - when viewing planets (which are never near the zenith in the UK of course) with Mak or SCT you look down, which of course brings floaters into view in my experience. Looking at the same with a Newtonian would involve looking more horizontally - which might keep the floaters out of the light beam? Anyone had any experience of that?

Archived