Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another go at Jupiter

astromerlin

Not much wrong with the colours...I'm just wondering if you have a focus or collimation issue? Are you able to see the moons of Jupiter on your laptop while your imaging? If you can see the moons clearly then there is not a problem.

Good point, no I dont see moons on the laptop when I'm imaging but some of my subs do have them showing faintly. Collimation, I've been trying to get it tight with a cheshire and did so before taking this image.

To get to focus I do a long exposure on a star to get the diffraction lines showing and focus in as tight as I can. I have noticed that the lines are never sharp or thin with the 3x barlow i'm using.

Perhaps I should invest in a laser collimator but reading the posts they dont seem to be accurate either, mind you neither are my eyes looking through that chesire. lol

With decent seeing and a 3x barlow you should be able to get good focus, with sharp edges, as you are working at F14.2. I get sharp focus at F/20 and sometimes go to F/30.

Groan, I did start wondering if there was a problem with the barlow, a Meade 3x Telenegative but now perhaps it may be that the sighting hole in my chesire might be too big as I do see a fair bit of mirror making it difficult to get it all lined up in the center.

Archived