NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nebula Madness

Uranium235

Last night was a good one (and a late one!), and Ive covered a couple of new targets as well as updating some exsisting ones. Also Im getting used to this post-processing lark now - edge preserving softening and unsharp mask are pretty useful tools (psp), I used this on M16 to great effect.

The guiding was 95% trouble free, especially now ive got the load down to a dainty 4kg :D but any sizeable mis-balance will still upset it (backlash).

Towards the end of the session I noticed M45 was at a reasonable height, so I managed to get an hour on that before cloud rolled in at 2.45am. Im quite happy to be seeing m45 again as that is one of the first things I took a photo of (too lame to show here), but this time round im tooled up and ready for it :o

The crescent nebula was tougher than expected, not sure if it was the seeing, my focus or whether i just didnt have quite enough data. I will catch up with it next time for another nibble.

Pelican Nebula (IC5070):

15x600s

Crescent Nebula (NGC6888):

10x600s

Eagle Nebula (M16):

14x600s

Bubble Nebula (NGC7635):

13x600s

The Pliades (M45):

6x600s

ED80, CCD CLS, 50mm finderguider, 1000d + lots of coffee and cigs

Thanks for looking :)

pelican_final_s.tif

crescent_crop3s.tif

M16_crop3s.tif

bubble_crop2s.tif

M45_crop1s.tif

Thanks guys :blob10:

This week we have been blessed with a few clear nights (especially Friday), so I had to make the most of it. I was totally amazed when i got 3 hours from the first battery... though in the end im kinda glad that the cloud turned up becuase I really needed sleep!

I might take another look at m16 because I think i might have gone in too hard on the stretch (looks a bit "pink"). Hmmm... i should have posted the unstretched tif so peeps could have a play for themselves. With M45 I was having a bit of trouble with a gradient, which I tried my best to remove.

Is there a way of deleting old photos youve posted? Theres probably a fair bit of stuff I dont need now.

Thanks adam! Ive just done a quick reprocess on the Pelican using the same routine as for M16, except it was a little harder due to the fact there was less to get a handle on. Looks ok now (i think!).

Never thought of using smoothing/sharpening before, maybe because I thought that would be "cheating" - but it really does do a good job of beating down the noise created by stretching. So its something I will use a lot more from now on.

post-18171-133877479521_thumb.jpg

post-18171-13387747953_thumb.jpg

Archived