NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unsticking stuck threads on kit

Say for example I had this "friend" who received some astro kit this morning, and in the first mad moments of assembly, "they" managed to put to bit together that shouldnt have, and the threads have stuck? They are the correct threads, so its not cross threaded, but my "friend" really needs to seperate the two parts so "he" can assemble it correctly?

My "friend" says its a small adapter stuck to the top of a larger piece (with some optics in it), so "he" was wondering if some gentle warming would allow the smaller piece to expand faster and release its grip on the larger part.

In this image, the part circled in red is screwed into the item on the right, but it should actually be located inside the part on the left...

Anyone able to help my "friend"? :o

20100901-stuckborg.jpg

If its a filter ring/ step up/ down ring type problem; a squeeze across the middle at a couple of points on the outer edge usually frees the binding sufficiently for a BOA (or similar - you can get the proper filter removal clamps from various photoshops) to unscrew the filter.

You are such a good friend to your friend helping him out like this :o

I had something like this the other day, and I tried differential cooling (bottom on cooker ring and ice pack on the top) but because they were so tightly locked they stayed at the same temperature

The only solution was two massive mole grips, and a bit of swearing

They both got badly scratched, so I've been looking at something like this in the future:

Oil Filter Wrench [Misc.]: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

41sfcs1be7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a similar problem with the male t thread on my atik filter wheel. I screwed it correctly into the camera female t thread without overtightening, would it unscrew again? No way not without a strap wrench helping things along. I didnt want to use heat anywhere near my camera.

It was the anodising on both threads that just locked the blighter solidly. I would advise a little heat in you your friends case and then put a very light smear of silcon grease on the threads to avoid any stiction again.

Good luck to your friend

Philj

Instead of the silicon grease I was advised to use a very small dab/ wipe of shoe polish (your choice of colour!)on the threads - it doesn't easily melt and cause additional problems and so far it's worked 100% for me...touch wood...

Ken

Happened to me last night. I coupled a SCT to T2 adaptor, to a mAX DSLR 2" Adaptor, with m42 threads. Why do they have two similar, but dangerously close threads on Items. Why the hell can't they have one standard. Anyway, the damned things locked up and refused to budge without the aid of some large grips, and a cloth buffer zone. They shifted, fortunately with no damage to either.

I won't do it again. Famous last words.:o

Ron.

Good advice from everyone. Nobody mentioned prevention though. We keep leaving expensive precision bits outside on dewy nights, or for days on end in unheated sheds. My friend puts a little bit of silicon grease on all sorts of screw threads on his astro kit. sometimes soon after it has arrived before corrosion can start. He does though usually assemble it first to make sure it is OK, and hope it comes apart!

Hiya Steve, your "friend" is quite fortunate in having two chunky parts to get a grip on, as opposed to a WAFER thin filter. If it were me :), I would probably drop a tiny teeny drop of release oil between the two parts, let the oil soak in THEN use a couple of rubber boa grips.

Good luck to your friend :o and see you next week.

Bob

Oh I could kiss you for that link! Tried the trick of standing on it and twisting my foot, but it just went round and round, so I lifted the floor tile and found the sticky glue on the floor panel beneth, tried the same trick on that and WAYHAY it was free...

Now reassembled into the correct way, with a note to purchase some silicone grease at the weekend for all the threads I can possibly find!

My, er, friend says to tell your friend that none of the usual configurations show any sign of sticking or binding - but, er, my friend never tried that particular combination on the grounds that it wouldn't reach focus.

But my friend is glad that it's fixed, and is looking forward to first light images...

My friend understand that he was a bit hasty putting the kit together, but assures me that nothing was tightened really hard, it just "locked tight" when the two pieces met and that was it.

Anyway, the body tube is now between the focuser and the reducer, so all is right with the world again.

as daft as it sounds try with Marigolds (rubber gloves) on.

Oh and when your done earn brownie points by doing the washing up as you have them on!

Good idea that, maybe not the second bit though :o

Archived