Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

seb returning

essex sky

I would say not at this moment in time. It seems to have been a faint dusky band in various states of transparency since June. As Rik says there is alot of activity near it - and especially in the EZ. I have read that what we should expect is a dark thin band to develop in the SEB latitude from which spawns dark and light spots. This tends to indicate the beginning of SEB regeneration.

I glad I saw this post as I was thinking the same when I was observing in the early hours of the 31st Aug.

I was seeing a faint light greyish band across the full width roughly where the SEB usually is. Maybe it's more the absence of the band and the added activity around it that's drawing my eye to it.

I'm glad others have been pondering the same thing, it's such a dynamic planet to observe, I can spend ages viewing it. :o

Cheers

...I was seeing a faint light greyish band across the full width roughly where the SEB usually is. Maybe it's more the absence of the band and the added activity around it that's drawing my eye to it.

I'm glad others have been pondering the same thing, it's such a dynamic planet to observe, I can spend ages viewing it. :o

Cheers

That's what I've been seeing with my 4" ED refractor so I'm glad I'm not imagining it !.

The great red spot (GRS) seems more clearly defined this year, perhaps because it's not embedded in the SEB as is was last time around ?.

Agree entirely about Jupiter being dynamic - it's the best of the planets in this respect IMHO - you never quite know what you are going to find :)

Well I've just spent an hour on Jupiter with my 16". The SEB is most definitely looking more defined tonight (1 sept).

And...

there is a faint spot embedded into it. Saw it sandwiched between tonight's shadow transit and the following limb.

For me, that is sign of increasing SEB activity and is consistent with what we should start to see with a SEB regeneration!!

Exciting times!!

Archived