Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've got it :D

I've finally got my first 'scope :D and its all worked out better than I expected. I upped my budget to £100.00 (not including courier) and got myself the Skywatcher Explorer 130P Supatrak Auto :) Soooo excited!!! Now all I've got to do is wait for it :) lol. The seller has got to find a box big enough and then I've got to arrange a courier for collection sometime next week. I got off eBay in the end. When I saw this I just couldn't resist. To say I was originally looking for a 114P too - I think I've done all right.

So, does anyone else have any experience with this 'scope? If so, what's your thoughts, etc?

Thanks!

Thanks folks!

Yes, I'm very excited! I want it NOW (never have been one for patience) lol. However, I'm SO glad I found this place before I bought. Otherwise I would have ended up with a Seben or something. I really appreciate everyone who gave my wise advise and told me to wait instead of buying on the same day. If only more newbies found this place first :D

Now, I wonder what the weather is going to be like over the next 2 weeks? It's been pretty poo over here in Nottingham. No clear sky's for days :) Just my luck lol.

Good news!!

Now that is a great first scope!

Download Stellarium for your PC (if you havn't already) as it will be a big help in working out what is where in the night sky! And mayby be on the look out for a good night sky guide book like Turn Left At Orion, which is one of the best ones to teach you how to star hop to a target - great feeling when it works for the first time!!

Of course, keep checking in here for hints and tips, like the rest of us do, and let us all know how you get on!!

Hope the clouds will part soon - might be ok tonight according to metcheck. com!!

Doc

Thanks SP :D

I haven't actually got it yet as I'm waiting on the guy getting a box and then me arranging a courier. Hopefully I'll have it this week sometime. Lets hope the clouds have parted by then.

I will hop over to Amazon now and get that book. Also download Stellarium - I've been looking for something like that :)

Any suggestions for extras - lenses, etc? It already comes with 10mm & 25mm + x2 Barlow. Are these sufficient?

Would you eventually upgrade to a Syncan AZ Go-To Mount - Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount

I can't afford it now but sometime in the near future. Is it worth it, and do they work as stated i.e. find what you're looking for?

Thanks for all your help :)

Good news!!

Now that is a great first scope!

Download Stellarium for your PC (if you havn't already) as it will be a big help in working out what is where in the night sky! And mayby be on the look out for a good night sky guide book like Turn Left At Orion, which is one of the best ones to teach you how to star hop to a target - great feeling when it works for the first time!!

Of course, keep checking in here for hints and tips, like the rest of us do, and let us all know how you get on!!

Hope the clouds will part soon - might be ok tonight according to metcheck. com!!

Doc

Have a look at the sticky thread - Eyepieces The Very Least You Need - as there is some good advice in there about suitable eyepieces for differing types of scopes. That shud give you some ideas of what you might want, along with what others recommend on here!!

The 10mm and 25mm and barlow are ok to get you started off though!

Mind you im the last peson to ask about buying eyepieces at the moment though seeing as ive recently gone a bit mad on that front i.e. new TeleVue Ethos 13mm.....Gulp!:D:). There's a thread on here about being addicted to buying astrogear... not that im affected by that at all you understand..!!

I wouldn't even think about changing the mount yet, just get to know the Super Track first and try and get to know your way round the sky by star hopping from known points to your targets, it will give you a lot of satisfaction doing it that way. Maybe in the future upgrade to some kind of Go-To, it all depends how you want to do and what floats your astro boat, so to speak.!!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on..!!

Doc

Oh! Maybe think about getting a pair of binoculars too, many people find them very useful to help find objects and help learn your way round the night sky.

Doesn't have to be an expensive pair - I have an old pair of Super Zenith 10x50's on sale on ebay at the moment for about £10 that I used for just that purpose and they are just fine for it (not trying to sell them to you, just an example!) - FLO do some really good pairs too..!!

Oh! Again! Have a look-see at Astro_Baby's website, she knows her stuff and there is a good review of her 130 scope on it too!!

http://www.astro-baby.com/index.htm

Doc

Archived