NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planet-Finding by Numbers

OXO

Planet-Finding by Numbers

More than a decade after the first planets beyond our solar system were found, astronomers have discovered about 200 of these "extrasolar planets," as they're called. Using a common-sense definition of potentially habitable planets, coupled with extensive computer simulations, scientists have calculated how many potentially habitable planets might be detected around other stars by the SIM PlanetQuest mission. ("SIM" stands for Space Interferometry Mission.)

The mission, scheduled for a launch in the next decade, will target planets with specific traits in common with Earth: a similar mass and an orbit in the "habitable zone," not too close and not too far from its parent star. With this mass and location, it's believed a planet could have liquid water on its surface and an atmosphere -- conditions considered necessary for life to gain a foothold.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/features.cfm?feature=1209

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do we insist on saying that for life you need a planet about the same size and orbit from its star as Earth? It has been shown on Earth that life flourishes in many locations from boiling water vents at the bottom of the ocean with no light etc to freezing locations at the poles.

If 'they' hadn't cancelled Europa we might've been finding out quite soon - hmph. Instead 'they' chose to beat the Chinese to the moon. Anyone'd think there was oil there. Oh, the moon is the launchpad to mars aint it? 'They' probly think there's oil there too.

The only thing missing from the description of life, and I believe it should always be included, is the phrase, "as we know it". Blinky's right about life being tenacious, as I've said before. Once it's there, it tends to take over, at least on our planet. Scientists choose these conditions to make it as easy as possible to actually identify life as we know it. It's entirely possible we may detect other forms of life and not recognize it as such without these simple guidelines. Once we get good at identifying it, we may be more open to other, more exotic forms of life.

I agree with you too, SteelRat. But this post is dangerously close to politics, so I won't go there. :)

I believe that if an environment is hospitable to life, then life must develop there. If it can develop into higher life forms, it will be bilaterally symmetrical, probably bipedal or quadripedal, and not much more intelligent than we are. It will not look the same as we do, though. It will probably invent beer, or at least vodka.

Heh, so the decision not to go to Europa was political eh? :) Sorry, won't go there either. Think the priority in this search for another blue dot though surely must be for future colonisation? The possibiities for different forms of life out there are endless but no-one really ever gives any credit to the chance that THIS system might be where the disease first took proper hold.

So we're looking for another blue dot? Well biology aint one of my strong points so I'll ask this; Scientist say that for life you need - among other things - liquid water yes? Well, can you have liquid water WITHOUT life? :?

I mean, ya can't have life without Vodka :)

Sorry, I didn't hear you say, "as we know it."? :)

When GWB announced we would return to the Moon and then to Mars, virtually all other science at NASA ceased to be funded, except the Shuttle, but at 40% its previous level. An attempt to show some form of "vision" and being science friendly. (Both mistaken.) But, the decision to bring down the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory was political, too. in exchange for MIR.

But I digress.

Yes, we're looking for another "Blue Dot". Extrasolar planets and possible life is all the rage in astronomy today, much as comet hunting was in the 18th century.

When searching for life in the universe i can't help coming up with the notion that maybe somethings are so alien we wouldn't know if it was stareing us in the eye :)

The Maths = Life as does the probability etc etc(as we know it) phewww

Actually, you can't have vodka without life, as alcohol is, as Kurt Vonnegut succinctly puts it, "yeast [removed word]." :)

I really think that colonization is a pipe dream. Sending even a few hundred colonists even, thirty light years, absent a FTL system, which is theoretically and probably practically impossible, would never repay the cost of getting them there. It could not solve any problems of living on Earth, or provide any resources, or allow us to offload any of our excess population. Its just too expensive to make the trip.

There is no compelling reason to send people to other stars that will be funded by the people who have the billions and billions needed to do it. Remember, Christopher Columbus was out looking for a trade route to India and China.

Yes indeed. But I was only brousing the Astro UK B&S site when I found a link to the 'Practical Astronomer Magazine' site in time to order my subscription from issue one, and BLOW ME DOWN I found there a link to this wonderful place that is THE STARGAZERS LOUNGE. Amazing where you can end up if you're not afraid of falling over the edge.

Yes, I know... a poor analogy. I never really had an edge to fall over - or perhaps I did :)

But still - I thought most thought on distant space travel - rather than trying to prove Albie wrong with an FTL or going along the lines of 'slowly, slowly, don't worry our great great great grand children can land it' - was trying to master the potentially dangerous art of 'space origami'.

Anyone know how they're getting along with THAT one? brrrr.

'space origami'.

Anyone know how they're getting along with THAT one? brrrr.

That's all in the realm of theoretical physicists and way over my head. I can barely spell it, have to think to pronounce it and it beats me how to do it! :scratch: All I know is, it's mathematically possible. But then, so are tessaracts. :?

Archived