NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"L" earner

Okay I had a brilliant night trying to locate my objects, however, North American Neb would not become visable. Am I right in saying that the only way of viewing objects like this is by photography? Also I tuned into Andromida Galaxy and although I could view it, no matter what EP's I used I simply could not bring it into focus - it stayed fuzzy. I suspect Im doing something wrong and I have not learned some astronomy basics here.

Scotty

Hi Scotty,

You've picked two difficult objects there mate :). M31 is a blob in small scopes, even in bigger ones you need good seeing, good skies and a good eye to pick out much detail. I looked at M31 with my 14" Dob tonight and couldn't make out much TBH, there was just too much moisture in the air.

Same with the NA Neb. You need crisp, clear nights for exended objects like those and don't think tonight was one of them!

Easier targets for dodgy nights like last night are globular clusters/ open clusters/ double stars/planets. The "fuzzy" stuff needs the good nights.

Gaz

Hi Scotty

As for the NA nebula that is an object for imaging mate so no foul there.

Andromeda is a different thing all together as in you can visually see it but

you will only be able to see a fuzzy object.

So you were not doing anything wrong mate. Keep it going.

Okay, supposing tomorrow night is clear, what do you guys suggest that I should go for?

p.s SkyScan is on my list, its so blummin difficult locating objects, there must be easier ways and a few tips and tricks to this ...... surely......please!!

Scotty

.... its so blummin difficult locating objects, there must be easier ways and a few tips and tricks to this ...... surely......please!!

1. StarryNight software

2. Two inch Wide-field 30-40mm eyepiece

3. Red Dot Finder

4. Keep posting the questions

.... its so blummin difficult locating objects, there must be easier ways and a few tips and tricks to this ...... surely......please!!

1. StarryNight software

2. Two inch Wide-field 30-40mm eyepiece

3. Red Dot Finder

4. Keep posting the questions

5. Plenty of patience :)

p.s SkyScan is on my list, its so blummin difficult locating objects, there must be easier ways and a few tips and tricks to this ...... surely......please!!

Learn how to polar align your mount/telescope then use Starcharts with the coordinates and you will be able to find anything in the sky esp with some guidance from Stary Night software..

I'd suggest locating open clusters from Messier's catalog. Most are bright and large and distinct from the background stars. Some people think if you've seen one, you've seen them all, but I disagree. They're good for practice, too. There are several in Auriga, M36, 37 and 38 that are close together and pretty easy to find. M35 is large and comes up with Gemini. M45 is always a favorite.

Finding and focusing on objects can be frustrating, especially extended objects like M31 and Ngc 7000. You need to train your eye on what to see. Focus on a star, rather than trying to use the nebula/galaxy. If the stars are sharp, you'll be fine with the focus. Look for subtle differences in brightness rather than distinct shapes. M31 may look more like a cloud, and the NA neb looks more like a slightly brighter area than something distinct. Look for differences in "background" brightness.

Archived