NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neptune

michaelmorris

Well, I managed to find it (isn't GOTO great). Here's my snap of the very pale green/blue dot that is Neptune. This was very dim - I had to shoot at 100% gain on the Toucam. I had to boost the colour saturation a bit to get the colour to show well.

With Uranus two nights ago (http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/111042-uranus.html) and Mercury at SGL5 (http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/102788-mercury-sgl5.html) , that means I have now imaged all the planets. :)

(Please, let's not get into the 'Is Pluto a planet' debate).

post-13232-133877471308_thumb.jpg

I must admit that I'm a bit confused about the colours I'm getting for Uranus and Neptune. All the amateur pictures I can find on the interweb that show a colour difference between the two ice giants seem to show Uranus as turquoise and Neptune as blue, yet with my images it's the other way around - strange. :)

I think that with the distance of Uranus and Neptune and the amount of interference therefore caused by Earth's atmosphere, colour differences are probably quite common. Add onto that differences in equipment, conditions on the day etc., I wouldn't have been surprised if it turned out pink with orange spots lol. Those two are so small!

Lovely images, if you did pluto you would have to do eris as its a similar size....and what if a few more are found out there?? Best to stop now before you start needing to borrow the keck observatory to finish the job.

I'm still anticipating seeing an SGL-member's homemade photo of Makemake or Haumea ...

I recently thought I might have a go, but just checked and they are quite close to each other in Coma/Bootes, and approaching the sun. Have to wait until next year...

They're currently at mag 16.88 and 17.25 respectively, so perfectly do-able with the kit folks have on this forum. Eris is in Cetus at mag 18.76, so there's a challenge for someone!

OK, so when are YOU going to get one of Pluto?

Curiously enough, I did give it a try the other evening.

When I photgraphed Antigone (Antigone) I got stars down below mag 14, so I thought there was a reasonable chance of getting it. Didn't work, although I used the same settings. I know exactly which triangle of stars it should have been occupying, so it is not just a case of failing to identify it. Think it may have something to do with the quality of the horizon that evening, as Pluto was quite low down. If I get anything resembling a clear sky again before it reaches conjunction, I will give it another try, possibly trying slightly longer subs.

You can be absolutely sure that if I do succeed, I will not let it escape ANYONE's notice:D.

Archived