Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M15 - it's globular season

markarian

Another go at M15.

Had to work quite hard not to blow out the core during processing.

Still quite a noisy background. Any tips for how to get rid of that?

200mm f5 Newtonian, Canon 350D (unmodded)

10x120s, 5x 180s subs

Guiding with Guidemaster, EQ6/EQMOD

SW LPR filter, MPCC, Nebulosity, PS CS5

cheers

Mark

post-13767-133877471281_thumb.jpg

Sorry I should have put all this info on in the first place!

It was ISO 800 - my standard.

I know the real answer is more and more subs to average out the noise - but I'm hoping someone knows a simple way of processing out the noise - creating a smoother background - when I don't have enough subs. I use Noel's Actions to get rid of as much of the noise as I can but it tends to create a bit of a lumpy background.

Mark

800 i think is fine. yes as you say more darks etc will do it.

as for the processing....im NO help to you their mate. but im sure someone will step in and help you.

Any way by the sounds of it you know what you need to do next time, so keep up the good work and keep sharing! :)

Michael

Google neatimage if you use Photoshop it helps a bit, but I am no expert thats for sure, I gave it a whirl though and then a quick sharpen in PS

I am sure it can be done better, not sure if its much of an improvement even or if some detail has been lost.

post-19347-133877471487_thumb.jpg

It's a nice image Mark :)

I'm no expert but it seems there's always a balance to be struck between detail and background noise which only seems to work in your favour with lots and lots of exposures.

James

Thaks for the comments everyone.

Mark: It's certainly smoothed out the background a little - but you're right in that I think Neatimage has lost something too.

James - I suppose I know it's the right answer - just have to be patient and take more subs. (Thanks for the fast and efficient delivery of my latest toys: MPCC and LPR filter :) The MPCC particularly is fantastic!).

Camera and telescope are whirring away as I write on the Bubble nebula. It's a beautifully clear night here in Edinburgh.

Mark

Archived