NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Digital Compass Suggestions

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good cheap digital compass that can point to North?

I have been using a normal magnetic one for my polar alignment and have noticed I am way off north - lots of ferrous metal around my viewing area which is obviously affecting the compass as it wanders all over the place as I move about - should have checked earlier!

Unfortunately the north star is obscured from my view so cannot line up on it.

All suggestions gratefully received

I have a discovery channel one i was trying to sell a months back, i planned the same thing but never got round to trying it as i enjoyed star hopping and didnt have time to make the mods required for the position of the compass.

theres a link to it here

If u want it PM me, i aint promising you will get the results you want :) i personally think a setting circle is better

Thanks for the replies, and you got me thinking whether a digital compass actually was the answer, so, a bit of googling came up with these two useful sights describing how to find true north without a compass, and as all I need to do is mark a line North / South these should be fine, the shadow method or the watch method (sure I got a badge in this at cubs in about 1972!)

How to Find True North Without a Compass | eHow.com

How to Find True North Without a Compass - wikiHow

This should also mean I can re calibrate my magnetic compass to allow for the error!

I like the idea that modern technology has been defeated by a piece of stick and a few pebbles :)

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good cheap digital compass that can point to North?

I have been using a normal magnetic one for my polar alignment and have noticed I am way off north - lots of ferrous metal around my viewing area which is obviously affecting the compass as it wanders all over the place as I move about - should have checked earlier!

Unfortunately the north star is obscured from my view so cannot line up on it.

All suggestions gratefully received

I have a cheap digital compass but I fear, because it too measures the earth's magnetic field, it would suffer from exactly the same problems that your analogue compass does :D

Sticks and stones are your best bet.

Or, take a 10 minute exposure with your camera pointing roughly north and including some foreground. The center of the star trails is celestial north.

Archived