Suitable telescope for a seated position and wearer of glasses

Hello everyone.. im Daryl from near Cardigan in west Wales.

I think ive been reading too many threads and reviews over the past couple of weeks so im suffering from major information overload and cant remember what I read only 5 minutes ago lol

So I apologise in advance for my questions which have most likely been asked many times before.

1: Im mostly interested in viewing the planets and moons at the largest definition possible within my budget range, but of course I would also like to view other stellar objects so for best of both worlds I should be looking at a Maksutov-Cassegrain type telescope?

2: It also has to be very portable as il be travelling with it in the boot of the car from home to the preseli mountains, so it needs to be easy to set up.

3: Also need to be usable in the seated position, I cannot stand or bendover for very long (damaged spine amongst other injuries)

4: I also need to be able to use the eyepiece with my glasses on, so I either need a scope with a suitable eyepiece or one that allows me to change it to a suitable one thats on the market?

5: Not really interested in the goto system at this time though I can fully understand having it, part of the "fun" for me will be manually finding what im looking for, though I would want a scope that can have it attached at a later date (if thats possible)

6: My budget will be about £500 which includes any extras I need with the scope like a suitable eyepiece for use with glasses, been looking at the Skywatcher Matsutov series on first light optics , be a month or 2 before I go ahead and buy anything as that will give me time to continue reading up on what I need to know.

Anyway hello again and thx for any input.

Hi Daryl. It depends what you mean by portable, but I'd suggest a Dobsonian

6, 8 or 10". Most of them have a 1200mm or similar focal length, which means

that the tube will fit across the back seat of most cars, the mount goes in the

boot. They are good for seated observing, the eyepiece accessable at all angles.

That also fits your requirement for easy set up & non goto.

If you get eyepieces with a 20mm eyerelief, then you can view with glasses on.

Hope this helps, Ed.

hi ed many thx for the reply..

I was looking at the Dobs and pound for pound they look great value considering everything I need is there, I was put off by the fact I couldnt find any overall dimension info for the base as my boot is not very big.

Wont the dobs mount need a perfectly flat piece of ground to sit on or will it work just as well on slightly uneven ground?

Hi Daryl and welcome to SGL.

I too am a dedicated planetary observer with a bad back who wears glasses so we have a lot in common.

I have a Newt which gives really good performance but at an awkward viewing position which leads to aches and pains. I have a refractor which is great to use and my preference by far.

I have tried SCT's and Maks but both these take a long time to cool down and have contrast robbing central obstructions - not good for the planets.

Eyepieces are easy - William Optics Uwans are very sharp with good eye relief - perfect for glasses wearers.

Take a look at this ....

Omni XLT Series - Celestron Omni XLT 120

HTH

... I couldnt find any overall dimension info for the base as my boot is not very big.

Believe it or not, I managed to fit my 12" Dobsonian with base as well as a Skywatcher 130 plus EQ mount into... A MICRA! The telescope itself is 1.5M long. That with two fully grown males is an achievement! All them years of playing Tetris wasn't wasted after all!

I was about to suggest one that was on the forum but just noticed it has been sold. It was a Celestron C80ED

The Omni 120 XLT also gets my vote, but if you are not bothered about (tracking / astro-imaging) and like me enjoy learming your way about the heavens I would suggest a Synta / Skywatcher AZ4 tripod and Alt-Azimuth mount . They are much lighter than an EQ mount and you can be set up in minutes. Normal price new is £179.00 but I have seen them for £130.00

http://www.optcorp.com/productImage.aspx?pid=12369

Paul

Post #3, Hi Daryl, the Dob should be ok on slightly uneven ground.

If not, you can fit higher feet, so the mount doesn't rock on any

lumps & bumps. But you are right to wonder about this, I find they

work best on a hard level surface. Long rough grass can be a problem.

Good luck ! Ed.

Hi comrades..thx for the replies..

Think ive made my mind up and will get a skywatcher dob, not sure which size to get yet but il spend the next few weeks reading up on the various equipment I need to get up and running, im sure il be back with a long list of questions at some point. :)

And thx for the links and suggestions so far.

4: I also need to be able to use the eyepiece with my glasses on, so I either need a scope with a suitable eyepiece or one that allows me to change it to a suitable one thats on the market?

For eyeglasses the main thing is the eye relief of the eyepiece, about 20mm is enough, though it depends a bit on the thickness and geometry of your glasses (i.e how far away from your eyeballs they are). If you can try using an eyepiece somewhere / somehow with a known eye relief that should give you a good frame of reference.

Also, in case you don't know, if you have no astigmatism, you don't need to wear your glasses if you don't want to, you can adjust the focus of the telescope to compensate for your eyesight. If you do have astigmatism, then TeleVue make correction lenses that can be attached to some of their eyepieces, Unfortunately TeleVue stuff is quite expensive, but it might be worth bearing in mind for the future.

ok I been compiling a list of what I must get and what I may get in the future.

If anyone notices anything that isnt compatible with each other then please shout out.

Must have

Skywatcher 10" Dob

HoTech Laser collimator (thought worth spending extra on a decent one)

Rigel quickfinder (would of prefered angled type but not highly rated?)

Moon filter (as looking at the moon interests me muchly)

Dew prevention (either just a shield or electrical based)

Baader lense fluid and cloth (ok to use on Dob lenses?)

Red light torch

Star maps

Comfy chair :)

Large thermos flask :)

Pack of dark chocolate digestives :hello2:

Will get later.

Eyepieces

Angled spotter scope

Skywatcher 10" Dob - OH YES

HoTech Laser collimator (thought worth spending extra on a decent one) - OH YES

Rigel quickfinder (would of prefered angled type but not highly rated?) - OH YES

Moon filter (as looking at the moon interests me muchly) - OH YES

Dew prevention (either just a shield or electrical based) - NAH - I'VE HAD MINE OUT FOR HOURS MID WINTER WITHOUT PROBLEM.

Baader lense fluid and cloth (ok to use on Dob lenses?) - NAH - RINSE IN LUKE WARM TAP WATER THEN FINAL RINSE WITH DISTILLED WATER IS FINE

Red light torch - OH YES

Star maps - OH YES

Comfy chair - OH YES

Large thermos flask - OH YES

Pack of dark chocolate digestives - NAH - CHOCOLATE HOB NOBS EVERY TIME

Great choice of scope - mind that back.

yes moving it short distances in 2 pieces wont cause a problem, and it looks like I can sit at a comfortable position when using it which was the main concern.

Im only worried that I wont get a 1200mm tube on the back seat and the base in the boot as ive only got a smallish 2 door sporty car, but found my tape measure so il go check. :)

You can get handles fitted to the tube if you want which would make it easier to carry. Its awkward as well as heavy without them. The base is no trouble to carry..

Also consider a right angled finder to avoid straining to line up the scope...

A suitable observing chair as I find this helps no end.

Hyperion lenses are good for eye relief on my 10 inch dob...

The globular clusters are so amazing in the 10 inch!

Mark

Hi Stuart

Could you point me in the direction of who makes the handles, or is it a case of getting local engineers to fabricate some, I have seen pictures of dobs with handles, is the telescope produced with the option of fitting handles (pre - drilled) or is it a case of having to drill into the scope if thats possible... or do you use tube rings?

Right angled finder, the only one I seen is on FLO website

Finders - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

but from what ive read so far it seems to be more difficult to use than the Rigel etc

And thx for the headsup concerning the eyepiece etc

Your right. Handles need to be bought and holes drilled. so not for those who do not like altering new kit...

The finder...there are different views out there. I think the truth is you get used to what you use regularly..

Mark

Archived