Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motor speeds: faster than 1x?

Hi guys

I'm looking into buying a motor drive for my EQ2 mount. The info on the FLO product page says that it has 1/2/4x speeds, and the PDF for the product (I think it's the same product)

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/EQ2Single.pdf

...says it goes to 8x!

Why would I want a motor to track at faster than 1x? I realise the moon and sun go at different speeds, but 8x?

Since there's a cheaper motor that only goes at 1x, should I just buy that one instead?

I think I'm missing something :)

Thanks for the help!

my ra/ dec skywatcher tracker only goes left to right, when i press the up and down button nothing happens... ive tried it with brake on and brake off still nothing.... its making a noise but nothing moves... is it dead or is it me?

If it's making a noise, have you checked the gears are turning where the clutch assembly is? Also, for some reason, my up/down one likes to undo the clutch if I don't make sure the knurled knob is nipped up properly. Don't forget also that mount brakes should be on.

Archived