Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warning "stupid question" alert!!

I've been looking at the dobs recently as part of my eternal quest to buy that 1st scope. Originally I discounted getting a dobs simply due to asthetics (I just simply didn't like the look of the base). However after looking at a few more YT videos etc I am coming around.

My questions about Dobs is this:

I've seen two types the standard ones (I guess), and the flex tube, flex tube looks better due to the fact it looks collapsable (this is on all sizes right?). But is there any significant weight difference between the two?

Hi, well I know what you mean, but I don't think it matters too much what the

scope looks like, it's what you can see through it that really counts !!

From what I have seen & tried, there is not much difference in weight between

the flex tubes & solid tubes. The advantage of the flex tube is portability, a shorter

tube when it's collapsed is easier to hump around, thru doorways or in & out of

a car.

The downside is probably more collimation required, although some test reports

& other sources claim otherwise, & say multiple extensions dont affect collimation.

The flex tubes usually cost more than a solid tube & you would need a shroud to

reduce dewing of the optics, especially when the colder nights arrive.

Hope this helps, Regards, Ed.

There isn't a big difference in weight between the solid tube and the Flex tube. For instance the 10" Flex tube weighs 1.2Kg more than the solid tube. The Flex tube mechanism weighs more than the equivalent length of solid tube that it replaces.

Up to the 10" I prefer the solid tube as there isn't that much of an advantage in portability and you don't need a light shroud.

John

Like John said, up to 10" you can skip the flex tube and save some cash.

However, for a 12" ou larger dob, really think about the collapsable tubes. I own a 12,5" solid tube dob and a friend of mine has a 12" flex tube telescope. Well, I can tell you that to take my telescope out of the garage is rather difficult and to put in the car is even worse. But his flex tube telescope is so easy to tranposrt that I already thought about selling my dob and move to 14" flex tube telescope (I think a 14" flextube is more portable than a 12.5" solid tube telescope).

Like John said, up to 10" you can skip the flex tube and save some cash.

..... (I think a 14" flextube is more portable than a 12.5" solid tube telescope).

and transporting a 14" solid tube is a major exercise vs a 10" (but worth it).

When i was researching the purchase of my new Dob, i noticed that some vendors provide a list of the weights of the telescope's different components (base, OTA, truss tubes, UTA) in order to give you an idea what you're getting into as far as portability. Just Google the particular scopes you're interested in... i'm sure you'll find the info in one of the of links provided by the search. :)

Archived