SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Get together in Sussex?

Pauly

Following on from my 'Hello' thread, where I was pleasantly surprised by all the number of people observing in Sussex, I was wondering if there are any meets arranged for this part of the world?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kai and I arranged a couple of social gatherings for "south east" members last year in a pub in Godstone. Just drinks and a chat. I know Godstone is a bit north for Sussex members but it was convenient for the M25.

I'd enjoy meeting up somewhere for a similar get together. A viewing evening would be even better, but be aware there is more work involved in organising one than you'd imagine - the weather being the biggest unknown for forward planning.

I'm happy to assist or arrange something a little later in the year if there is sufficient interest.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking the other day, that there hasn't been a meet up for a while (not that I was ever able to get to the other two, which I was rather miffed about),,,

Maybe somewhere near you Mike would cover East and West sussex nicely.

I exchanged PMs with Meademan a few months ago and he mentioned a place just outside Nutley - the link below shows where it is (I think).

Nutley, Uckfield, Sussex, UK to Crowborough Rd - Google Maps

Basically it is a car park on a local high point with an unrestricted view south over Ashdown Forest. It could be worth considering for an evening meet some time.

Mike

The place i use is pretty dark u can see the milky way with just your eyes, down at rye harbour carpark and u can park right next to the scope(plus u usually get a visit from the local police 1 of which has just got into astronomy) also there's a pub in walking distance.

nice one mikep

Thanks are due to Meademan rather than me.

The major problem with organising an observing session for Sussex members is the size of the county (taking East and West together). I'm sure Rye Harbour is a great spot but it's about an hour and a half each way for me and well over two hours from somewhere like Midhurst.

We'll probably have to settle for something more localised. Just my thoughts, I'd be interested in what others think.

Mike

I didn't realise this thread had taken off. I've been looking at the South Coast Astro group, but they are based near the New Forest and trekking over there is not a prospect I'd relish. So maybe there is a case for a group in this area. I've been meaning to get down to the Devils Dyke at night to see what sort of a viewing site it would make. Has anyone else tried it?

Hi Pauly

As another Sussex Astronomer I must recommend the Adur Astronomical Society. We meet at Southwick on the 1st Monday in the Month. We have many Newbies in the Club and cater for them as well as the more experienced. Come as our guest one night, we are a friendly bunch !

Details ADUR AS

Robin, Chairman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I exchanged PMs with Meademan a few months ago and he mentioned a place just outside Nutley - the link below shows where it is (I think).

Nutley, Uckfield, Sussex, UK to Crowborough Rd - Google Maps

Basically it is a car park on a local high point with an unrestricted view south over Ashdown Forest. It could be worth considering for an evening meet some time.

Mike

Can you get confirmation of this location? I've tried to find this this evening, and can only see private drives, not a car-park!

Regards,

Harry.

Can you get confirmation of this location? I've tried to find this this evening, and can only see private drives, not a car-park!

Regards,

Harry.

And that shows that you should check things out in daylight first!

What I thought, in the darkness, were house-names on signposts at this location were in fact the names of the car-parks!

In the google map linked to above there are three of these car-parks showing, basically the light coloured patches. The one just south of the mark and south of the road is called 'Hollies'. The view from all of them is great, so I'm waiting for a clear night to take my binos along.

Warning to anyone venturing down that road - sheep are loose and wander everywhere, so keep alert when driving.

Regards,

Harry.

• 2 months later...

Archived