First Light/First Post

Hello :p

Firstly I would just like to confess that I have been lurking around this site since February. The advice and articles have been a great help and everyone seems to be so friendly.

I used to have an interest in astronomy as a boy in the 70s but struggled to see anything through my cheap telescope. My interest waned after leaving school and was reduced to watching the moon and odd meteorite shower whilst night fishing.

This all changed back in January whilst searching BBC’s iPlayer for something to watch. I chanced upon an episode of ‘The Sky at Night’ downloaded it and my old passion was suddenly and unexpectantlly renewed. Like many newbies here I suspect I started reading anything and everything I could on the subject. I went to the Astro Fest in Kensington and was delighted to see my hero Patrick Moore and hear his discussion with Brian May.

What really blew me away were the telescopes on show. I had no idea how far they had advanced in the intervening years. ‘Go to’ technology was completely new to me but as a gadget freak very impressive. I bought some binoculars and a planisphere at the show and started acquainting myself with the constellations again.

However the desire to have a telescope was overwhelming. I really liked the Celestron Nexstar SE Series and was all set to go down the computerized route. However after a lot of thought I decided that buying a non-computerized mount would teach me a lot more and of course provide a bigger scope for my budget. I still stick by this decision although I still find star hopping difficult, and indeed have failed to find several objects that I have searched for, when you do find your target you get a real sense of achievement.

In the end I bought a Skywatcher 200P on an EQ5 mount. I deliberately used the manual controls for the first two months just to get used to them but adding a dual axis motor has been a revelation and I now realize is essential for proper observing.

Not knowing one end of a Newtonian from the other first light was a very nervy affair. I managed to find mars but the image was very blurry. I mistook Arcturus for Saturn and it took another 3 or 4 sessions before I tracked the planet down. I can now report that I am very comfortable with the operation of the telescope especially since adding the motors.

My last observing was in May however I will be starting again soon as the nights lengthen. I have so far seen Jupiter once when I dragged the scope (and the wife) out at a very ungodly hour. So I am really looking forward to it’s appearance the right side of midnight and of course some of those fantastic winter constellations that I only just caught glimpses of as I was struggling to get to grips the scope. This really is a hobby that is going to last a lifetime.

Regards

Chris Hunt

hi Chris - great scope and welcome!

the Orion Nebula will really blow you away - Orion is my favourite constellation by far - and with good optics and a wide field eyepiece, it goes on for ever.

for now, make sure you try and track down M13 in Hercules and the double cluster in Perseus another couple of my faves, before they shoot off into the west.

Welcome to SGL Chris like shane said the orion neb is amazing

sight but you will have to wait a while for that unless you have

already got it you should download Stellarium its a sky map

and very usefull for looking for targets in the night sky

clear skies :p

Hi Chris - your first two paragraphs could have been written by me a few years ago. I too was really in to astronomy in the 70s after a visit to Jodrell Bank until other distractions (wine women and song) took over. Like you I've still occasionally dived outside to watch the occasional meteor shower or to glance at the moon. Then 3 years ago I got a new camera and thought i'd try it on the moon. 3 years later I'm now seriously in to deep sky imaging and love every minute of it - I'm only sorry that I didn;t get back in to it sooner, but like you, I was blown away by the equipment now available and affordable..

Stick with it - the winter skies have some pretty good views - don't forget to have a go for M31 Andromeda - with your scope you should definately be able to make it out as a distinct fuzzy blob - even here in the light polluted skies of Chester it's visible through an 8" scope.

Hi Chris, Welcome to SGL. I was hooked by a copy of Astronomy Now that caught my eye in Smiths. Probably the most expensive magazine I've ever bought :p

Have a peek at M57 in Lyra. It's near Vega and pretty much overhead, have a look in Stellarium for it.

Enjoy your scope and I wish you clear skies.

Mark

See I knew you were a friendly bunch.

Firstly I meant to post this in the Welcome Forum if any of the management read this please feel free to move it to it's correct place.

I can confirm that I did manage to see M42 throughthe scope but was still operating it by hand. Now I have the motors installed I will be able to do some proper observation.

I have also managed to find M13 and the Ring Nebula. Both gave a great deal of satisfaction as I find star hopping difficult. I have the Sky and Telescope Atlas but even remembering to turn it upside down I still can't match what is on the page with what I see through the scope.

My favourite double so far has been epsilon Lyrae which I first caught in the bins and wondered what it was. My next aim is to see the great spiral galaxy in Andomeda. Unfortunately my garden backs on to a school with a pair of annoying security lights so I am sticking to the brighter and larger deep sky objects for now.

Thanks for the encouragement anyway.

Archived