Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD Guiding help

Can anyone please tell me the best way to use PHD for guiding.

I have my Neq6 pro connected upto my laptop via the handset using the correct cables etc.

What i have been doing is inputing all the time date etc and aligning the mount using the handset then i return the mount to the park position and then cancel park, then i set the handset to pc-direct and start up phd/cdc.ascom etc and then take it from there...is this the correct way to do it or should i not park the scope after ive alligned it?

also, when using phd what speed should it be set at? 0.05, 0.1, 0.2 0.5 etc etc.

Im just learning how to guide and last night was the first time ive actually got phd to guide my scope, but when i checked the graph the two lines were up and down like a mountain range!!...as i understand it, they should be as level to the center of the graph as possible, is there anything i should adjust to get it working right?

One last question (which im not sure if its linked to my problem) but on the ascom platform, i had the slew speed set to 4, should i change this to 1 when i want to start guiding?

sorry for so many questions but 5 minutes on here saves several wasted nights outside and we all know how hard it is to get a decent nights imaging in the UK!:p

Hi Mick

Are you running Eqmod too ?

I use Eqmod & phd with a Heq5pro to my laptop.

If going thru the handset, I dont put in any of the info to the handset, just keep pressing enter then select Direct pc mode.

The eqmod software should get all the info (time ect) from your pc & planetarium software.

I useualy have the scope in the home position with weights down, scope pointing up.

How good is your polar allignment ? The graph will get smoother with better polar allignment.

Dont need to alter slew speed , thats just for when your slewing

Im no expert tho :p

Greenkat

Thanks GK, i am using Eqmod and my polar alignment is spot on and my home position is with the weights down and the scope pointing at polaris.

How do you do your polar allignment (i normall do mine from the clock shown on the handset after ive input all the required data, it tells you where you need to position polaris in the form of a 24 hour clock) and how do you do your star allignments if you dont do it through the handset?

Hi Mick

Unfortunately I cant see polaris from my back garden so I used the drift alignment to polar allign.

To do star allignment, I use my Starry night software, I can select any star from it, right click and select goto, then center the star using a joypad (not the handset) then select sync in starrynight.

I think you are using CDC? You should be able to connect to your scope using that and do similar. If not, give stellarium a try , that also can use the ascom software to talk to the scope but youll also need the stellariumscope driver which is easy to dwonload and use .

On my HEQ5 Pro;

Weights down, OTA straight up, pointing roughly at Polaris.

Power on mount.

Select start from park.

Go through all the setup.

Don't start star alignment.

Run Polarfinder(Google and download).

Polar align using RA and alt/azi to match view through polarscope with image on PC screen.

Manually put mount back to park position.

3 star alignment using handset.

I connect through the handset but select Celestron Nexstar 8i driver, this way you don't have to put the handset into PC-direct mode;

Run PHD

Select camera, SPC900

Select mount, as above

Train

in order to have desent guiding you must have as good as possible your polar alignment. you don't have to drift allign since the guiding via phd will do the rest. i also use the ascom polar allign tool and i have very good results. the only traps you need to look out are the following.

1) mind the balance of your equipment. bad balance leads to trail as i have found out the hard way. there is an article here http://www.astrovox.gr/avat/balancing.php (it is in greek but you can use google translate, along with other articles and videos). if you use a newton telescope, the focuser with the camera must be turned inwards, towards the centre of the mount.

2) when guiding, the time at phd should vary between 1 and 3 secs in order for phd not to chase the seeing and have trails. if you have an ir cut filter use it at your guiding camera as it reduces the halo of the star and makes them rounder.

3) if you use the st4 port of your guiding camera/mount at the eqmod setup screen change the autoguider port (st4) guide rate

settings. i have mine at 0.75x but it changes according to the trails you have. if you don't use the st4 port you can paly around with the ASCOM pulseguide settings

4) at some point dismantle your mount and use better grease in order to reduce or remove backlash and PEC. you can find dismantle articles at astro-baby's web site, http://www.astro-baby.com/astro_baby_telescope_help_and_advice.htm

5) beware of flexure as it leads to trails make sure everything is tight and nothing moves freely. when you have good focus at your target lock the focuser

6) remove excess weight from your mount. if you have 2-3 finder scopes leave only 1 as you only need it for go-to calibration and your guide scope for guiding purposes

7) finally if your trail is really bad but your phd graph is steady and near 0.30 (mine varies from 0.16 at nights with good seeing to 0.36 when seeing is bad) then check the fan that your camera has for vibrations since they can lead in really bad trails as i have at my camera. i am still trying to get around this problem and break the 10 minute barrier. if you have bad trails you can check this by manually stopping the fan of the camera and take some photos. don't stop the fan for too long though as it can damage the fan or the camera

when using your synscan controller after making the connections, power up choose pc-direct mode and then start eqmod via CdC and it will take care the rest. use your joypad for moving the mount and not the synscan controller as it will break the connection if you press any buttons. the only thing you need to mind is to to power up your mount at your home position and before power donw remember to park your mount

Archived