NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

uranus ?

Hi i have looked at stellerium and seen that Uranus is very close to jupiter - i cant setup tonight as i am out but can anyone tell me if i will be able to see uranus and its moons through a 8" dobsonian ?

Regards

You can spot Uranus through binoculars so it should be no problem with an 8" scope once you have worked out where it is. It's largest moon, Titania, is only magnitude 13.8 (or thereabouts) so too faint for an 8" I think.

Uranus moon's are very difficult, even with a big telescope. Not only because the brightest one is around 14th magnitude, but also because it stands very close to a 5,7 magnitude planet.

I got Titania and Oberon in my 16". I have not tried to find any of the moons with aperture less than that. Still, I'd advocate giving it a go with an 8" in a dark sky location at high power and setting Uranus just outside the FOV to optimise your chances. You never know, it might just work...

Archived