NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam Drift Questions

TopHouse

My alignment isn't that bad, but could use improvement, but a couple of thoughts.

Doing planets etc with a webcam, (not DSO as that's a different game) Do you think decently accurate alignment is important? In theory, the better the alignment then surely, the better your frames will be already aligned and less dependant on software, which surely is a good thing, does it also lead to a higher level of good frames?

I imagine you can drift align with say a toucam and some software, but what's the simplest software solution as it's not an area I've looked into.

I agree Ken, but I'm working on the theory that the less the stacker has to do, the better, and the easier you makie it for the software, that may be better, I just don't know, but for whatever effort put in I think that it's worth some experimentation.

One conclusion i have come to, and i think you'll agree, with regards imaging with a webcam, an autofocuser is worth it's weight in gold! I've noticed a HUGE difference in lack of tolerance between focusing with the eye and focusing with a an image on laptop. So with the drifting thing i'm just working on the theory that every bit you 'help' things before stacking may just provide better results.

I agree 100%

I wouldn'r be able to get the Ha solar images I do without the electronic focuser. Definately worth it's weight in gold!!

- I dont think AVIstack/ Registax works any better if the drift is minimised....

I'll join you on that one TopHouse :)

I've not done any drift alignment yet, hell, only just getting to grips with polar alignment :D But the sooner I can get longer than 30s exposures without significant trailing, the better.

Archived