Mounts....keep it clean!!!

:)

I have an EQ3-2 mount and have seen a dual axis motor thingy that i can put on it.....

My question is....

What is the differance in adding a motor to this mount and buying a mount with this as standard?

Hope that makes sence?

Not sure really but maybe it would be a bit cheaper to buy the unmotorised mount and then add the motor at a later stage?. Far as i know EQ mounts work fine with just a RA motor,so you wouldnt need a dual axis motor.

I could be completely wrong. I thought for imaging all you REALLY need is a RA motor. You can set the DEC axis manually.

P.S.~~~from what i have read, fitting a motor to an EQ mount is a piece of cake.

Ive just fitted the ra/dec version to my eq3-2... they both track in ra however when you want to slew the scope you can slew in both directions with the more expensive one... its only a tenner or so difference so id go for the ra/ dec version... its very good btw

Ive just fitted the ra/dec version to my eq3-2... they both track in ra however when you want to slew the scope you can slew in both directions with the more expensive one... its only a tenner or so difference so id go for the ra/ dec version... its very good btw

So really the only purpose of the DEC axis drive is to point your scope either up or down til you get it on target?

I suppose for a tenner more it is worth getting the dual axis drive. I was looking at them a couple of yrs ago and they are really cheap. I think less then £100. Then i decided that i hate EQ mounts so i never bothered buying either a dual axis or RA motor drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased a skywatcher 150p on a eq3-2 and am hoping (someday) to use it for astrophotography; which means I would need a motor drive for the RA.

Can you elaborate as to where you have seen these drives for sale, as I cannot find the drive for an eq3-2 by itself on t'internet!

Thanks,

-Ollie.

I've just purchased the ra/dec motors for my CG5. It's a similar set for the eq3-2 (£89 +p&p) but do phone FLO and check before buying. Here's a link (top of page):

Skywatcher

When they come ready installed it's nearly allways a different set up which includes goto. You can also get "Goto upgrade kits" for several mounts. Don't forget when you add motors you'll also need a power pack - Maplins do some very reasonable power packs for around £35-£45 (frequently on offer). Good alternative to the expensive Skywatcher and Celestron branded packs (over £100).

I also had an EQ3-2 mount and added a RA motor with a hand-set control. It was easy to mount and worked fine. I could choose 1 out of four slewing rates (to correct eventual deviations, but when properly aligned, the mount tracked fine and kept the objects centered w/o problems. That is visually. For astrophotography I'm not sure if the accuracy was good enough or not.

And it was precisely this motor drive: Skywatcher - Skywatcher RA Motor Drive for EQ2. Although it's advertised for an EQ2, it was fine for an EQ3 as well.

Archived