Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brilliant Idea!

Well, i think it is anyway, but lets see what the feedback is like, here's the idea.

OK, everyone reading this is interested in imaging in one way or another, we all look at each others pics and lets be honest, we either think we could do better/have done better, or look at it and go wow and wonder how they did it. Some also like to grab the pic and tweak it a bit, whichever way, we're all here to learn and I don't think anyone has any info they don't want to share re processing.

So, how about this, we get someone to upload an avi somewhere, I suggest a jupiter since it's flavour of the month, those who want to take part, download the avi and process it to the best of their ability then post the resultant image on here.

We get a few people to judge which they think is the nicest image, then that person tells everyone else what they did, what software and settings etc.

Anyone up for it?

Well I think it's a great idea. I am more of a visual astronomer, but I have often thought I'd like to give imaging a try but have been put off a bit by having to buy a whole new set up then possibly not liking it or not knowing what to do. Your idea could be just the thing to help folks have a dabble and then decide if if they want to 'go over to the dark side' and splash out on a full blown imaging set up.

Thumbs up from me.

Regards

John

Wondering if there's the possibility of SGL in some way hosting the AVI and if possible get the sponsors involved to offer a small prize to the person who gives the best result and resulting 'tutorial' for their efforts.

Why an avi?. Why not just a jpg.

Avi take up a lot of bandwidth. This would be unfair to the owners of SGL.

I can see why you said avi.................because you have to grab a single frame from it and then work your magic making it a more difficult task but think of the bandwidth.

Here is a single frame i took from an avi. Do your worst.............or best:

post-18019-133877467596_thumb.jpg

It is a pity that fit files are so large, I would love to have some individual LRGB images to process to see if it is something I want to do in the future when I am all mono'd out! Would still be good with AVI's though.

How about FLO offer an ATIK 11000 as first prize, oh yeah.. and I have to win :)

Why an avi?. Why not just a jpg.

Avi take up a lot of bandwidth. This would be unfair to the owners of SGL.

I can see why you said avi.................because you have to grab a single frame from it and then work your magic making it a more difficult task but think of the bandwidth.

Here is a single frame i took from an avi. Do your worst.............or best:

1) Because most people doing planets are using avi's and the procedure would be somewhat different for a jpeg than an avi. Also most people who would benefit from the resultant 'tutorial' I would assume would be newer people who, chances are, are entering imaging using webcams which use......

2) Why unfair to SGL? it was a suggestion and no-one's making them host it, maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, there are other ways such as someone with a rapidshare account etc.

If a few large files are hosted, how much would the bandwidth usage be (obviously estimated)

I am only asking as I am probably gonna get my own site for astropics etc.. soon and I wouldnt mind hosting files as long as the bandwidth didnt cost a fortune.

Well, a lot of hosting accounts now give unlimited bandwidth as long as you dont take the mickey, it's your actual webspace that's the bind. I reckon a suitable avi for this would be in the region of 600 meg. So bandwidth would be 600 x number of downloads.

So running a site with pics is never really a problem as the file sizes are quite small.

1) Because most people doing planets are using avi's and the procedure would be somewhat different for a jpeg than an avi. Also most people who would benefit from the resultant 'tutorial' I would assume would be newer people who, chances are, are entering imaging using webcams which use......

2) Why unfair to SGL? it was a suggestion and no-one's making them host it, maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, there are other ways such as someone with a rapidshare account etc.

Ah you didnt specify only planets. But i should have worked that one out myself as anyone imaging planets use avi or similar.

Unfair to SGL because of the bandwith it would use to host al the avi.................BUT if you dont ask you will never know. Yep there are other ways to do it.

I'm not knocking your idea by a long shot. It would be fun.

BUT not everyone here images planets. There are plenty of imagers who simply use a scope and SLR.

Should they be excluded?

P.S.~~~I'd be very lucky to get a good image of the inside of my camera lens cap.

Archived