Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher goto dobs now officially released

Just thought I would let you all know, they have fixed the key issues which prevented them from working to a spec THEY were (and me cus I tested em) happy with

so...your local dealer will probably announce pricing soon, but this is superb news..

In the market for one myself...no brainer at the prices they are quoting

hmmm?

Okay so about 11 months ago I had one with GOTO to test. At that time, whilst it was okay it was NOT up to standards that I or they were happy with. They got a report and it looks like they have fixed what was needed..

OVL and Skywatcher have been excellent IMHO in actually listening and responding

yup, that's still an odd one, and after speaking to various people, nobody else apart from you have reported it...which makes it even odder..

Now..."good enough for me" I have not tested the GOTO since this release, but if they say it works, I would hope it does..

Fingers crossed one will be at SSP :-)

I am bringing my EQ3 along btw (all being well) so we can soak test that one there...it may be that you have uncovered something anomalous with it...as recently I have not used it at all barring for solar (tracking is perfect for that), but am bringing a small DSO rig along with me

Wont be at SSP have run all the test that i have been asked to do on it and it appears (Latest) that the problem could be a faulty MC PCB.. it's ok guiding in RA but any dec guiding (includign calibration) causes the jumping...

If that is the case the replacement one that they sent had exactly the same problem as well :)

Anyway this is off topic...

Peter...

hmm...so if my polar alignment was bang on the money, I may not have even seen this jumping..hmm

Didn't think it was...but...hmm

EQ3 pro...I am not expecting too much, it's a star party, it's mainly going with me as it's small/lightweight and works great for the solar H-A/CaK scopes which is uaully my thing at star parties...prefer to do proper DSO work at home (*dark and managed observatory with the big toys in it)

Mainly going to SSP for the meetup and to see what others are using/doing ...last year I saw EQMOD for the first time in action, and AN wrote an article about it..

Well said.

I am putting a DSI-III OSC on one on a WO66 at SSP (got it working properly at last...thanks to Nebolusity 2), guiding with a *(phhhh) QHY5/ST80 combo(keeping the cable count/requirements to a minmum)

Doesn't a GOTO dob defeat the object of a dob in the first place? Cheap mount so more of your money goes to the apature?

(Not a criticism! Just pondering out loud for discussions sake. I think a 12" GOTO for a grandish is a superb idea!)

Kind of , but...aperture of 16" with full GOTO...for under £2000.. that's just amazing for viewers...and for people starting out, a great way to really get a lot from astronomy quickly, without the (albeit should be mandatory) learning your way around the sky

without the (albeit should be mandatory) learning your way around the sky

Are we going to need to pass a test and get licenses next then :D

Even Radio Hams have worked out that technology can replace expertise these days... :)

The thought of a full goto light bucket does appeal to me though... EQ plate?

Peter...

That's what I want to know

Pulse guide on an EQ plate with the 50mm finder bracket holding a lightweight guide scope..

awesome

Anyway, I will have the 300P version at SSP to play with

Good news on the Dob Nick :)

Lets hope this weather improves ... although I am sure you'll all find plenty to amuse yourselves if it doesnt...

We must be due a break .. we really must...

I know what you mean Pete I have barely see a clear patch over the last month. I was going stir crazy but managed to get the astrotrac out down at the B&B in Dorset whilst working. I sat back on the garden seat with a few cushions and gazed up at the Milkyway saw about 5 meteors whilst the rig was running. Next minute woke up at 2.30pm feeling a bit on the cold side :D. Needless to say I was a bit bleary eyed at work the next day and felt as stiff as a board :)

Regards

Kevin

Archived