NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crayford advice

Hi Guys,

I was hoping for some thoughts on this.

I have an ed100 -Orion. I have been keen to upgrade the focuser but it's always been part of a long and pricey wish list. Always thought I'd go for the WO dual speed jobby. Then I found this

http://www.telescope-service.com/ATM/focusers.html#syntafoc

2", 1.25", dual speed, rotatable. As long as it fits the ed100 it looks a good buy at 169euro. It would be better if it had finder scope rings as the WO version does. TS do a 1 speed focuser with finder rings, but as this is for ccd as well as visual the dual speed is what I want.

Looking around I also saw this

http://www.telescope-service.com/OrionUSA/accessories/accessories.html#Motorfokus

looks a good price, but I wonder how easy it would be to fit to an upgraded focuser.

Anyone had any experience of these products?

Also, I have only occasionaly heard of TS in passing. How are they as a company for promptness, quality of service etc

Cheers guys

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

The dual speed that TS sell is identical to the Antares one that Scopes'n'skies sell for £79 delivered (+10% discount = £72). Unfortunely both are made for a smaller tube and need an additional adapter to fit the ED80 or ED100. I bought mine from Scopestuff in the US. Cost £16 delivered.

I used to have the William Optics dual speed on your ED100 but Andy Stentiford removed it before selling it to Dave Timperley, who then sold it to you. The WO was vastly better than the TS/Antares unit, I can tell you that much with 100% confidence. The single speed Baader unit is identical to the older WO single speed and that too is easily recommended. Plus neither the WO or Baader need an adapter. The Baader works out at £99 delivered from UK dealers.

Russ

Cheers Russ,

PS

I used to have the William Optics dual speed on your ED100 but Andy Stentiford removed it before selling it to Dave Timperley, who then sold it to you.

Russ

These scopes get about a bit don't they! :rolleyes:

Anthony

I have the Baader Crayford focuser on order for a customer.

He has kindly agreed to let me play with test it on arrival 8)

I'll post a report and some pix.

Had a play with the Baader Crayford focuser today - beautiful!!

Russ had told me to expect something special and he was right!

Customer has fitted it (three screws, thats all!) to a Skywatcher 150mm f5; when I get the chance, I will take some pix and post them here.

• 2 weeks later...

Always thought I'd go for the WO dual speed jobby. Then I found this

http://www.telescope-service.com/ATM/focusers.html#syntafoc

I have the Baader Crayford focuser on order for a customer.

He has kindly agreed to let me play with test it on arrival 8)

Most interesting. I wonder if i really need a moonlite to get a good Crayford...maybe you will provide the answer soon...

Theone i now have works but i am not too impressed. Very good optics deserve a very good focusser IMO

Archived