Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

finder guider

cardconvict

do you have your star slightly defocused

Probably LOL, doesn't seem to make much difference ...maybe finders aren't top notch refractors so pin point stars isn't the norm in most?, star profile is important, select nothing too bright and has a nice peak in the profile ie not flattened.

With my setup for imaging;

RA aggressiveness 90

RA Hysteresis 10

Max RA duration 1000ms

Search region 25 pixels

Min motion 0.15 pixels

Calibration step 2500ms

Time lapse 0ms

LE Port 378

Dec guide mode Auto

Dec algorithm Resist Switch

Dec slope weight 5.00

Max dec duration 260ms

Star mass tolerance 0.30

Noise reduction None

Force claibration Yes

Time lapse and LE port only really matter for certain guide camera and if they suport serial port controlled long exposures.

I run with the image slightly defocussed, and certainly not saturated/clipping at the top end.

Often the 'brightest' is not the 'bestest'.

Yes, that's a new feature in the latest version. Mine does it but only once or twice a minute at most. I ignore it, I really must read the manual and figure out what it means though.

Sorry can't be anymore help for a quick fix except to try an older version of PHD, or perhaps increase/decrease the 0.3 default value till it "goes away'"!

I see the new PHD s/w has a move guidestar feature which will help me to get the object I wish to image nicely framed, been a bit hit or miss in the past for me.

to quote - - Manual lock position mode added. Enable and it will ask for the position. Click on the star you want to move to that position and hit Guide. It'll move it there (albeit slowly, at guide speed).

Archived