widefield scopes

cardconvict

One of the FPL-53 ED80 doublets such as the SkyWatcher 80ED or Equinox 80, Celestron C80ED etc. would be well within budget, probably half second hand.

At slightly over budget I would have recommended the Meade 80 Triplet (FPL-51 equivalent glass), but with the new FPL-53 triplets arriving, such as the Orion EDT80 Triplet or the TS 80 FPL-53 Triplet, then it would have to be one of these new FPL-53 triplets.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions coming along shortly.

John

Being a newbie my recomnedations should be taken with some caution but I have a celstron 102 wide view which I find is

1. Very portable

2. Good light gathering

3. Good optics

4. Easy to attach a camera to, even a compact.

5. Cheap! only £200 including a decent tripod.

I read various other reviews on the net, including some in the lounge, and all complementary. I think possibly the only issue is that it's a discontinued model, I think Skywatcher have extactly the same model but rebadged, so I guess you might have trouble finding one should you wish to.

You are going to have to search out the good ED doublets or think about the triplets.

For a wide field the CA will show up easily, hence the triplets.

Unfortunately neither will be inexpensive.

I would start off looking through the various makers and see what is on offer. Don't forget the less well advertised makes as AP, Vixen, TV, Astro-Tech, Explore Scientfic.

Time to do some research.

Archived