Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally saw my first planet - advice?!

danos

I didn't think it would be a clear night tonight but it was so I decided to take my scope out (Skymax 127 goto) and see if it was 3rd time lucky. I tried to do the star alignments last night and on Tues I miserably failed both times but tonight I started my scope north, aligned my scope with 2 stars etc and I set my scope to look at Saturn, had my fingers crossed it wouldn't point to the ground, looked through the eye piece and there it was! It wasn't perfect as it wasn't centred properly and I had a bit of trouble getting the image sharp but at least it was there. However, the image was quite small (I was using the long angle lens - I think its 25mm). I also have a 10mm lens and a Barlow lens. When I attached the 10mm lens I couldn't see anything, maybe because it wasn't centred but I'm not to too sure, if it is clear tomorrow I'll try again hopefully it will be an even better night. If anyone has any tips or any good advice as to how I could do better next time, please do reply. As always, your posts are always very helpful :eek:

Sorry but Saturn's about gone for this year. Nobody ever gets good results looking at something close to the horizon.... Jupiter is getting nicely placed by 3am (less 1 hour per fortnight).

Yeah, it will be hard getting a good sharp view of saturn.

When swapping lenses, make sure that the object is centred because the higher power eyepiece will show a smaller piece of sky, also be careful not to nudge the scope when changing eyepieces, sounds like you're doing fine with your alignment though, objects dont often appear bang in the centre

it's great when you first get your scope to do what you want it to do,and then to see your first planet after that is a great boost in confidence.

as for the eye piece thing, waybig hit the nail on head so to speak!

keep up the good work, praying for clear skies for all

• 2 weeks later...

Stick at it and things will come good, get your alignment sorted then get it to find Jupiter and practice changing the focus when switching between your different eye pieces with and without the barlow.

congrats on your first planet :), I was lucky enough to see Saturn back when I got my scope, and it really is an amazing sight.

I still say "wow" when I get a planet within view, and I agree I think you will love Jupiter :D

good luck mate :p

To get better centering I usually start alignment with a 25mm, then refine with 15mm, and then again with a 10mm. Refining progressively at higher mags usually helps to ensure any lower mag ep's will get objects in the ep first time. :p

Archived